What's new

Want to get sized for Allen Edmonds, but...

I've seen talk of this brand here, so hopefully you gents have some advice for this young'un.

I'm looking to get a pair of allen edmonds - I've been eying them for a while - and want to get sized for them. I've found lately that my dress shoe size is about a half size to a whole size down, depending on the maker, and I want to know which AE last/size fits me best, though I'm hoping that the Park Avenue or the Leeds fit me.

The problem is, I'm pretty sure I would rather price hunt online, or even get a lightly used pair on the 'bay, so I feel kind of bad making a fuss with the salesperson and not even giving him/her a chance to earn commission. (the nearest reliable source to me is the actual AE store, and I have this idea that the sales people there are more dedicated than your typical mall sales person). Am I just being silly, or is it rude to go in, get sized, find a pair I'm in love with, and walk out knowing I won't buy?

Last edited:
The problem is, I'm pretty sure I would rather price hunt online, or even get a lightly used pair on the 'bay, so I feel kind of bad making a fuss with the salesperson and not even giving him/her a chance to earn commission. (the nearest reliable source to me is the actual AE store, and I have this idea that the sales people there are more dedicated than your typical mall sales person). Am I just being silly, or is it rude to go in, get sized, find a pair I'm in love with, and walk out without buying?

Personally, I think its rude to go in and get sized and walk out without buying but I was a salesman so YMMV.

I've seen AE shoes on sale but only on discontinued models and year-end events.

I don't mind paying full price because I'm a firm believer in buying at the AE store or Nordstrom's because of their return policy. The AE store and Nordstrom's have a very friendly, no questions asked return policy and if you do not like the shoes for any reason, you can return them. Some people have returned shoes to Nordstrom's a year later for credit.

Remember, these shoes will last a lifetime if property maintained and cared for so in the end, the retail price is more than justifiable.

I actually plan on going to Nordstrom's after work today to buy a nice chestnut brown pair of Bel Air Wingtips or Cap toe and a pair of Jack Percell sneakers for summer.

Remember to buy late in the day, rather than early in the morning. I prefer to buy after work.

You also have to consider that AE's come in different lasts, depending on the shoe. So one style of AE's may fit differently than another. You should get sized for the shoe you want.

I agree that you should show some respect for the salesman. AE's are excellent shoes and you should do well by them. In addition, their recrafting process results in almost a new pair coming back to you. At approx. $100, that will lower the cost of the original price. I have had a pair of Park Avenues recrafted four times and they still look and feel great. It brought down the price of the shoe to $140. But, of course, four times is exceptional. I would say two times is the norm. Remember, YMMV.

You also have to consider that AE's come in different lasts, depending on the shoe. So one style of AE's may fit differently than another. You should get sized for the shoe you want.

I agree that you should show some respect for the salesman. AE's are excellent shoes and you should do well by them. In addition, their recrafting process results in almost a new pair coming back to you. At approx. $100, that will lower the cost of the original price. I have had a pair of Park Avenues recrafted four times and they still look and feel great. It brought down the price of the shoe to $140. But, of course, four times is exceptional. I would say two times is the norm. Remember, YMMV.

I concur! :thumbup1:

I really don't feel the higher end shoes on eBay represent a real value, for one reason--if you have an issue the shoe is not returnable.

Bite the bullet, get sized and buy your first pair from a retailer. After you have worn AE for a while, then look on eBay, perhaps.

I buy all my Alden's from the store in San Francisco, because there is such a difference in feel from shoe to shoe, even with shoes built on the same last. You simply can't figure that out on the Internet.

Given how long the shoes will last, saving a few bucks (at the risk of getting an ill-fitting shoe) is simply not worth it.

As an owner of over 12 pairs of Allen Edmonds, I agree to what has been said on this post. Get sized correctly at and AE store. Buy the shoes and see if they are right for you. When you buy the shoes ask what "last" was used in the style you buy. Not all AE's are the same last. Once you know that you can then hunt down some deals on the bay. AE used to have an eBay store and I have purchased a few pairs from pairs from them. I would email them and tell them what style I have and they would match me up with the last. (The last I checked they had nothing for sale) Also I can’t agree more with was also said, properly kept AE will last a lifetime. So the extra cost up front is money well spent. If you plan to go to a Nordstrom’s store ask for the certified shoe fitter, yes most of their stores have one. Note that unlike AE stores Nordstrom’s usually caries only the D and EEE width. So if you need, A, AA, AAA E or EE you better off at an AE store.

Top Bottom