What's new

The Real Shaving Company cream

The Real Shaving Company Professional Lather Shave Cream - Sensitive...

No sir, I didn't like it.

It had a hint of hair remover in it. If you've ever smelled Nair or similar hair removal creams, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Also, it hardly lathered, even though it says it's double concentrated. Directions on the back say, "Don't use too much! It's a fallacy that more shave cream means a better shave, too much simply clogs the razor and gives a rough shave." Tried too much, too little, more water, less water.. hardly no lather.

$4.99 + tax wasted. Please send this back to England where it's made. Thanks.

Another example of YMMV.

I like it, many others like it.
It's more or less the exact same cream as TOBS has as a base.

But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

YMMV for the win :thumbup1:

Another example of YMMV.

I like it, many others like it.
It's more or less the exact same cream as TOBS has as a base.

But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

YMMV for the win :thumbup1:

I see you're in Sweden. Maybe the one sold "across the pond" is different than the one sold here, in terms of ingredients. It's not unheard of for companies known for good products in their part of the world, to use cheaper and different ingredients in their products being sold in a different part of the world. With export and import taxes, costs of shipping, etc. this happens quite often. Not saying that's the case here but anything's possible.

I see you're in Sweden. Maybe the one sold "across the pond" is different than the one sold here, in terms of ingredients. It's not unheard of for companies known for good products in their part of the world, to use cheaper and different ingredients in their products being sold in a different part of the world. With export and import taxes, costs of shipping, etc. this happens quite often. Not saying that's the case here but anything's possible.

Nope. The same cream worldwide, all originating from Creighton's (who also make TOBS, Trumper's and T&H creams) in England. I know US and Canadian versions are identical because I've tried both. I like it quite a bit and have no problems getting copious amounts of lather from a 1.5 inch line. I find the performance quite similar to TOBS and T&H. I get a nice slick cushion and my face isn't dry after shaving. I don't mind the mossy/citrusy scent, but that's definitely not the selling point. It doesn't last long anyway. I remember when I first used it that it took a couple of tries to get the cream to water ratio right. It's been part of my rotation since.
I've tried the Moisturizing, Sensitive, and Menthol just 'cause. :biggrin1:
Performance is pretty similar for all 3. There's not much difference in scent. The moisturizing doesn't seem more moisturizing than the other two. It's hard to pick out the menthol in the Menthol. There are slight variations but if you've tried one there's no need to try the others. YMMV.

Last edited:
I got mine in a box with other things from BST, from California, so it's the same stuff as over there I'm using, for sure.

I like it quite a bit and have no problems getting copious amounts of lather from a 1.5 inch line. I find the performance quite similar to TOBS and T&H. I get a nice slick cushion and my face isn't dry after shaving. I don't mind the mossy/citrusy scent, but that's definitely not the selling point.

+1. I have accumulated a lot of creams and soaps, but RSC is the one I started with, and is the one cream I know I can get perfect every time. I am nervous that the Rite-Aids around me seem to have stopped stocking the creams, and now only have the gels.

When they say not to use too much, they are talking about in the event that you use it brushless. If you are just going to smear it on your face, they are correct that it probably works better with less.

I lather it up with a brush and it lathers wonderfully. You are apparently doing something wrong in terms of product to water ratios or time of brush work, or something.

I don't like the scent at all, but the product definitely makes a nice shaving lather.

The scent is tea tree oil. Love it or hate it. I don't think it smells like Nair at all. The scent doesn't bother me but it isn't my favorite.

If you can't get it to work properly, odds are it's user error. That stuff should lather up a storm very easily, like all the Creighton's manufactured creams. I strongly suspect you are doing something wrong.

It had a hint of hair remover in it. If you've ever smelled Nair or similar hair removal creams, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Does it list Calcium Hydroxide on the label? That's the hair dissolving stuff in Nair. Sodium hydroxide is used also, but NaOH is less telltale because it is found in all soaps, and it would be quite irritating if present in sufficient quantity to act as a chemical depilatory.

Sorry Jody, I don't get the hair remover scent either, and while there are creams that I own which lather just as well as RSC creams, I don't think I have any that lather better.

I actually quite like the smell of RSC creams because it reminds me of Mexican hotels I've stayed at. Good times.

I'll give it another go but this time using a brush. But I do know it had a smell of hair remover. That's an unmistakable smell. It may not have actual hair remover in it but it sure smelt like it.

I'll give it another go but this time using a brush. But I do know it had a smell of hair remover. That's an unmistakable smell. It may not have actual hair remover in it but it sure smelt like it.

How did you apply it first without a brush, your hands?

My g/f has some nair and I compared the two.......doesnt have the nair smell to me but like we always say YMMV. Otherwise it lathers great and the smell i guess is aquired.

Does it list Calcium Hydroxide on the label? That's the hair dissolving stuff in Nair. Sodium hydroxide is used also, but NaOH is less telltale because it is found in all soaps, and it would be quite irritating if present in sufficient quantity to act as a chemical depilatory.

No Calcium Hydroxide but it does contain two other removers: Sodium Hydroxide as well as Potassium Hydroxide.

Full ingredients listing: Aqua (Water), Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Parfum (Fragrance), Sodium Hydroxide, Allantoin, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Limonene, Linalool.

No Calcium Hydroxide but it does contain two other removers: Sodium Hydroxide as well as Potassium Hydroxide.

Full ingredients listing: Aqua (Water), Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Parfum (Fragrance), Sodium Hydroxide, Allantoin, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Limonene, Linalool.

Sodium and potassium hydroxide are found in all shaving creams. Sodium hydroxide is found in *all* soaps, shaving or otherwise (unless they are really detergent bars.) Their presence on the ingredients list does not necessarily mean it is present in the form that strips off hair. They react with the stearic/myristic/coconut acid to make soap. The only way to tell for sure is to look at the actual recipe or test with pH strips, but I would say it is unlikely looking at the ordering of the list that there is enough unreacted hydroxide in the stuff to act as a chemical depilatory, particularly given the absence of the more mild Calcium hydroxide.

I'll give it another go but this time using a brush.

There you go; there's the root of your problem.

The Real Shaving Company is a simply phenomenal cream, that creates a rich luscious lather with a brush. The earthy smell of the cream is not wonderful, but given it's local availability in many parts of the US is something I can learn to tolerate.

It's soap, or if your prefer, shaving cream. So of course they're going to use sodium and potassium hydroxide to manufacture the stuff. What you're likely smelling is tea tree oil, like cvac mentioned earlier. Some don't care for the smell, but I kind of like it. Scent is very much a YMMV area.

Jody --

When you get a product like this that you find a disappointment, set it aside and revisit it in the future. You're on a learning curve just now, and you might find you like the product when you come back to it in a few months.

BTW, the Potassium and Sodium Hydroxides (Lye) are the agents that saponify the oils and produce soap as a result. You can't make soap without them.

-- John Gehman

Jody --

When you get a product like this that you find a disappointment, set it aside and revisit it in the future. You're on a learning curve just now, and you might find you like the product when you come back to it in a few months.

BTW, the Potassium and Sodium Hydroxides (Lye) are the agents that saponify the oils and produce soap as a result. You can't make soap without them.

-- John Gehman

Thanks. As I said, I'll give it another go but this time with a brush.

I do understand they are used to produce soap but Potassium and Sodium Hydroxides are used to remove hair either alone or as an ingredient in hair removal products.

From Wikipedia about Potassium Hydroxide: widely used as a way to remove hair from animal hides, leaving the hides in a solution of KOH and water for a few hours. It is also used in resomation (an alternative to cremation) to dissolve human remains. Pre-shave products and shave creams such as Proraso contain Potassium Hydroxide in order to force the cuticle open and act as a hygroscopic agent to attract and force water into the shaft, causing further damage to the hair. In this state, the hair is more easily cut by razor blade.

Top Bottom