What's new

Newbie Question Canned Gel VS Shave Soap

Ok, this is my first post on this forum. I have been doing a lot of reading here learning about DE shaving. I currently use either a Mach 3 Turbo or a Braun foil shaver. When considering the type of lather what is the difference between canned gel/foam and using a brush with soap?

The stuff in the can has lots of air dissolved in in because of the propellant. It just doesn't work as well as the good lathering soaps. Oh sure the stuff in the can will do the job, but just not as good as a good lathering shaving soap.

The stuff in the can has lots of air dissolved in in because of the propellant. It just doesn't work as well as the good lathering soaps. Oh sure the stuff in the can will do the job, but just not as good as a good lathering shaving soap.

Is there anything inherently better from a chemical composition perspective?

Shaving soaps and creams are water based, whereas gels and foams are based on a solvent/propellant like pentane or isobutane. The canned stuff lubricates but can't effectively hydrate your face or the hair. Hydration makes it harder to cut/irritate your skin and easier to cut the hairs. Using a soap (creams are also technically soaps) also makes it a lot easier to clean your razor after use; this matters a lot more with multi-blade cartridge razors than DEs which can be opened or taken apart to clean inside.

Consider that you are also paying for the solvent/propellant, whereas water (which is BETTER) comes to your house free of charge through your plumbing. Additionally, the canned products rarely actually dispense the quantity of product which the can contains and which is printed on the label, whereas a tube of cream can be pretty effectively emptied and a puck of shaving soap can be used until it literally disappears.

Shaving soaps and creams are water based, whereas gels and foams are based on a solvent/propellant like pentane or isobutane. The canned stuff lubricates but can't effectively hydrate your face or the hair. Hydration makes it harder to cut/irritate your skin and easier to cut the hairs. Using a soap (creams are also technically soaps) also makes it a lot easier to clean your razor after use; this matters a lot more with multi-blade cartridge razors than DEs which can be opened or taken apart to clean inside.

Consider that you are also paying for the solvent/propellant, whereas water (which is BETTER) comes to your house free of charge through your plumbing. Additionally, the canned products rarely actually dispense the quantity of product which the can contains and which is printed on the label, whereas a tube of cream can be pretty effectively emptied and a puck of shaving soap can be used until it literally disappears.

Now that is some helpful info. Thanks so much for the replies.

Is there anything inherently better from a chemical composition perspective?

YES!!!

A basic review of the ingredients listed on the labels shows the mass produced canned stuff if full of words that cannot be pronounced.

On a soap puck you may see a few of these types of ingredients, but mostly the ingredients are simple and older in cosmetics history

A basic review of the ingredients listed on the labels shows the mass produced canned stuff if full of words that cannot be pronounced.

Speaking as someone who can pronounce these ingredients, it doesn't make me much more eager to be putting isobutane on my skin. (Why yes, that *IS* in fact the same stuff that's in Bic lighters! Thank you for asking!)

Rocky --

The 'goo' is formulated for ease of use by a mass market. There really is no comparison to a fine lather from a good shave soap/cream using a brush. It's like comparing fast food to fine dining.

Welcome to B&B!

-- John Gehman

Rocky --

The 'goo' is formulated for ease of use by a mass market. There really is no comparison to a fine lather from a good shave soap/cream using a brush. It's like comparing fast food to fine dining.

Welcome to B&B!

-- John Gehman

Sounds good. Now I'm trying to figure out a good starting point. I'm thinking about a sampler from Ogallala and I'm not sure about the brush. I was thinking tweezerman but I've read mixed reviews on Amazon. My budget is in the sub $30 range at this point.

Sounds good. Now I'm trying to figure out a good starting point. I'm thinking about a sampler from Ogallala and I'm not sure about the brush. I was thinking tweezerman but I've read mixed reviews on Amazon. My budget is in the sub $30 range at this point.

The Tweezerman is fine; it was my first brush, probably the first brush of many here, and I still use it.

If there is a Target nearby, they may have the new Shea Moisture brush which costs $9 and so far seems to be performing well.

You can get a very nice boar for $30 - nicer than a badger in that price range will be.

You couldn't prove it by my brush rotation (listed at the link in my signature). The really cheap boars, like the VdH or the Burma Shave, may not be much good - but a $20 boar is a much better brush than a $20 badger.

You couldn't prove it by my brush rotation (listed at the link in my signature). The really cheap boars, like the VdH or the Burma Shave, may not be much good - but a $20 boar is a much better brush than a $20 badger.

So what are some quality boar suggestions? I was considering the Omega Pro.

The Omega Pro (10049) is a great brush, but the high loft can be tricky for face-lathering. My favorite boar right now is the Omega 81052, despite the fake badger sketching (visually, I prefer a boar that looks like a boar). Most of my shaves alternate between the 81052 and a Rooney 3/1/F - which costs over 10x as much.

At some point I'm likely to get a Semogue 830 (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129891).

As for the difference between badger and boar. Depends on whether you want to use cream or soap. Many people feel that the boar is better for soaps because the bristles are stiffer while the badger with its softer bristles is better for creams. But in truth, a small dense badger will work just as well with both. Now price-wise a cheap boar by Omega is a good starting point. And if you want you could later on buy a badger by Omega too. Keep it in the family so to speak. But if you need more info just look in the review section of B&B and check out what people say about various brushes. Also you can go to Amazon and read the reviews there too. But in the long run your first brush probably won't be your last brush. You could end up with SBAD and end up with a dozen.

There are a couple more good reasons against canned goo.

First, even if it isn't harmful to humans, the chemicals get washed down the sink and can end up in the groundwater and/or water supply. Do you want to drink trace amounts of that? Or do you want plants and animals picking that up? I don't.

Second, the cans aren't always recyclable and often clutter landfills. When they decompose (eventually) and leak, they'll leach more of what's inside into the groundwater. Again, not something I want to be a part of.

Third, soaps are always cheaper, save for the really high end stuff, but even that compares considering the amount of shaves you get. The only puck I nearly finished was some Cade, and that took over a year. Still, there was a ring around the outside and I probably could have gotten a couple more months from it. A refill is about $10. A can of goo is $7 or $8 and lasts a month or two. Soap is cheaper.

Plus, like everyone here, I get much better shaves from real soap than the chemical stew.

When i used a cartridge razor many moons ago i used to switch between the variuos canned goo, a bit of early rad i suppose, and found certain ones better and never really thought much else abut it, but as sooon as i tried my first cream/soap i noticed how superior it was in every way and even though now i am into wet shaving the only cartridge i use is the trac ii but would never dream about using a can with this razor as it just does not deliver even compred to the cheapest of soaps/creams available.

Top Bottom