What's new

Beginning?

So I am trying to get in to wet shaving specifically with DE Razors. I am looking for the best deal to getting started (I need everything from razor to brush) without killing my wallet and giving my left arm. I know right now that my current razor (read Mach III) is only draining my wallet and my face.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

A Merkur 34 C, will stay with you forever, no matter what else you experiment with in the future
$34-$38

A Tweezerman Best Badger brush, still my favorite even after buying expensive silvertips
$13-$18

One tube of CO Bigelow (proraso) cream from the Bath and Body Works store at your local mall
$5

One cappucino mug from your kitchen cupboard
$free (if you have one) - $4 (if you need to go to Target)

options: razor/brush stand
$8-$21

one puck of nice soap
$.94 (Williams)- $13 (Tabac)

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

You can always look at BST (Buy/Sell/Trade) section of this forum also.

Welcome to B&B! :001_smile

Check out "contest/pif/donate" section of b&b. You can find PIF "pay it forward" to noobs for free. Get some free starter razors, cream samples, and even blade samples. Lot of generous and good guys on here.

1. Razor. I would get a Gillette Tech. You can find them on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum, or post a "Want to Buy" for a Tech. Mild, readily available, inexpensive. Great starter razor. Can be had for about a ten spot.

2. Brush. Omega boar brush, about 8-10 bucks. WAYYYY better than the Tweezerman badger brush, IMO.

3. C.O. Bigelow shaving cream, $5 for the small tube at Bath and Body Works, and/or VDH Deluxe shaving soap, about $1.54 at WalMart.

4. Blades. Small sample pack from West Coast Shaving.

5. Bowl (optional). I bought a wide cereal bowl at Target for about $3.50.

Done.

Or, get the kit from Gentlemen's Best.

Gillette Tech: ~10
Semogue 1305 Boar Brush: ~22
Blade Sampler: ~15
Proraso Green Tube vs. refill puck of L'Occitane Cade vs Tabac refill puck vs. Palmolive or Speick Stick (whichever you chose depends on your preference): ~10

Grand Total: Well under 60 dollars. Even if you don't stick with DE, you will undoubtedly never give up using a brush once you've tried it. The soap or cream will also not be wasted so the real risk to you is approximately 25 dollars in the form of a razor and blades.

S

stubble trouble

As a newbie myself (6 weeks de shaving), I am shocked at how inexpensive that kit is. How could you go wrong? This set up will probably not (IMHO) yield the best smelling, feeling, etc. shave you ever get, but it will do the job (which is to get you started). Best of luck and to borrow a phrase, enjoy the journey!:thumbup1:

I ended up getting a Merkur HD and a Rooney pure badger brush with stand. So now its off to get C.O. Bigelow's shave cream. I also added on a razor sampler so that should be pretty helpful. Thank for all the advice.

You've certainly started off in style. Good luck with the rest of your shopping and don't forget to let us know how things are coming along!

Yeah I figured that I might as well get something that I would be happy with and that would last for a long time. I will certainly keep you all up dated. Once I get it all in on Tuesday my goal is to not slice my face up.

Sounds like you are off to an excellent start. You might want to drop by the drugstore for a bottle of witch hazel, too. A lot of us like to use it after shaving. Thayer's is nice, but the bottle for $2 or $3 works equally well.

Also, if you haven't watched Mantic's videos at YouTube, you should before taking razor to face.

Thanks for the advice, I have looked into Mantic's videos (they sparked my interest in the first place). I think I will need to watch them a dozen more times just to make sure I know exactly what I am doing.

Top Bottom