What's new

Watch Cleaning

My wife has a TAG Heuer watch with a gold and stainless steel band that needs to be cleaned - the dreaded black gunk has begun to appear. Is this something we can/should do ourselves? If so, how?

Thanks.

Remove the band from the watch head. You can do this using a spring bar tool at the lugs. Soak the bracelet for a few hours in dishwashing soap. Take a toothbrush and clean all nooks and crannies. Rinse in cool water.

You can clean the watch using a toothbrush, dishwashing soap and water. Rinse the watch head. It should be just like new.

You can take it to a jewelry store. Usually they will pressure test and then clean it for ya. They will dip the bracelet into an ultrasonic solution to clean the joints of the band, so it doesnt wear pre-maturly.

If not make sure the crown is screwed in and locked down. Then take a tooth brush, and some regular pump hand soap, warm water, and scrub it. Then rinse.

Last edited:
Thanks.

The chance that I'll be permitted to remove the band are exactly zero! :biggrin1: But it is a water-resistant watch, so maybe I'll try cleaning it with a toothbrush without the soaking it first.

Give it a try yourself. A toothbrush won't get everything, but pick up some wooden toothpicks to get into the hard to reach places. They're not hard enough to scratch the finish but plenty tough enough to get out the black gunk.

Though I would recommend a jewelry store that does cleanings. It's a simple matter to remove the bracelet and they'll drop it into an ultrasonic cleaner. That will leave it spotless.

When you say it is water resistant, does it have a depth rating? I clean my Citizen Professional Diver with stainless bracelet by soaking it in a solution of dish soap and water overnight. I have not found scrubbing to be necessary, all the caked on sweat gunk will just fall right off. As long as it's rated to at least a couple of meters depth, a soak in a glass of water won't hurt it. (Mine is rated to 200m.)

Top Bottom