What's new

Want to cut my own hair. - What is a good clipper set?

As the title says, I"m going to cut my own hair, right now I have some no name clipper brand from wal mart I bought years ago.

I'm looking to buy a set of clippers at a decent price. What's a good quality one?

Thanks! :thumbup:

I have Wahl clippers and have used almost monthly for over 10 years without any issues other than needing to oil every couple years. You can get them at Target or Wallgreens, maybe wally world too.

As the title says, I"m going to cut my own hair, right now I have some no name clipper brand from wal mart I bought years ago.

I'm looking to buy a set of clippers at a decent price. What's a good quality one?

Thanks! :thumbup:

Get a set of Wahls. They have a set that comes with all the combs and everything. The kit comes with a black zipper pouch, the clippers are chromed metal with black trim. Nice looking kit, sister just cut my hair last Thursday with hers. She said she got it at costco for $30. I've seen them at wal-mart for about the same price.

Clayton

Guess I"ll have to take a trip to Wal mart here, I wasn't aware they sell wahl.

I'm in Toronto, Canada we dont have wal green's or wally world here :mad3:

Wally world has both Wahl and Conair brand clippers for decent prices in full sets. They still have the no-name stuff as well. I recommend Wahl though.

I went to kmart back in November that I use weekly a Remington 22 piece kit for $ 14 and so far so good.. If it dies, then I will get a Wahl or Oster but otherwise best $ 14 bucks for shaving my head!

Cheers,

I have an Andis clipper set, with numerous sizes of blade-guards, and apron, and a carrying case. Best of all, the set contains an instructional DVD that shows you how to cut hair on boys and girls, men and women. I think it retailed for $24.95, and I caught it on sale for $15.

Its hard to cut your own hair. I botched up 3 or 4 haircuts over a 2 month period before I decided to go back to letting the barber do it.

I still use the clippers to trim my goatee about every 10 days. And that's the only thing I use it for. I go to a stylist and let them cut my hair the right way.

Don't get me wrong ... cutting hair is easy if you know what you're doing. You'll do much better if you can get your wife or a friend to cut it for you, and you can tolerate getting a few bad haircuts at the beginning as they work through the learning curve. But cutting your own is a nightmare. At least, that's how it turned out for me.

With all that in mind, my next set of clippers is almost certainly going to be a Wahl. They have a great rep for sturdiness and quality, and its a popular brand among professionals.

Don't get a battery-powered set. They don't have enough cutting power. The corded ones are less convenient, but they get the job done right.

And make sure you read the instruction manual. Especially the part about how to clean and oil the clippers between uses, and learn how to adjust them so the blades don't chatter.

My wahl clippers are only a couple of years old but still going strong. Regular oiling will keep them going for years. My father has his for over 10 years with daily use and they are still going like the day he bought them.

They are a solid investment!

Been using a $10 Wahl for 7yrs, never a problem. Blade does get kinda hot when running 15min on skin w/o guard. Oil blade prior to use. Did try to upgrade to $30 rechargeable cordless clippers (can't remember mft name) but those are junk. After 4months the charging battery would go dead after 2minutes. Went back to my old Wahl which still runs like a champ. Sometimes you just gotta shave it all off cause it feels so good :lol:

I have an Andis clipper set, with numerous sizes of blade-guards, and apron, and a carrying case. Best of all, the set contains an instructional DVD that shows you how to cut hair on boys and girls, men and women. I think it retailed for $24.95, and I caught it on sale for $15.

Its hard to cut your own hair. I botched up 3 or 4 haircuts over a 2 month period before I decided to go back to letting the barber do it.

I still use the clippers to trim my goatee about every 10 days. And that's the only thing I use it for. I go to a stylist and let them cut my hair the right way.

Don't get me wrong ... cutting hair is easy if you know what you're doing. You'll do much better if you can get your wife or a friend to cut it for you, and you can tolerate getting a few bad haircuts at the beginning as they work through the learning curve. But cutting your own is a nightmare. At least, that's how it turned out for me.

With all that in mind, my next set of clippers is almost certainly going to be a Wahl. They have a great rep for sturdiness and quality, and its a popular brand among professionals.

Don't get a battery-powered set. They don't have enough cutting power. The corded ones are less convenient, but they get the job done right.

And make sure you read the instruction manual. Especially the part about how to clean and oil the clippers between uses, and learn how to adjust them so the blades don't chatter.

A friend of mine cuts my hair on a weekly basis. I've asked him to show me how to cut my own hair and he said no problem its very easy. I"lll just need a 2 way mirror and lots of patience. I can already taper my side burns and fore head no problem

Top Bottom