What's new

How many shaves from one Valet AutoStrop Blade? Let's find out.

I was browsing through Phil Krumholz's encyclopaedic "Complete Gillette Collectors Handbook" the other day and was intrigued by an AutoStrop ad that said "500 close, comfortable shaves are Guaranteed from each dozen AutoStrop blades". Doing the math that would be about 42 shaves per blade! If you're unfamiliar with the AutoStrop razor, it basically allows you to strop the blade before each shave without removing it from the razor. I'm going to put the guarantee to the test by trying to get 42 "close, comfortable" shaves out of one vintage blade. Has anyone here tried it before? What has anyone's experience been with shaving and stropping with a Valet razor?

I've owned a Valet AutoStrop Razor (Model C patent April 9, 1912) for a couple of years, but have never attempted to shave with it. Along with the razor I have the original leather strop and an unopened waxed paper wrapped package of 2 blades. So I thought I'd check the condition of the blades, and if they looked good, go ahead and put old Mr. Gaisman's (the owner/inventor of AutoStrop Razors) guarantee to the test.

I opened the wax paper seal around the box of blades, and took out one of the blades which was wrapped in a paper sleeve indicating "insert blade into holder before wiping off grease". Inside the paper sleeve the blade was wrapped in another layer of thin waxed paper and was coated with a thin layer of grease. I loaded the blade into the razor and wiped off the grease as instructed. The blade appeared to be in pristine condition.

So I attached the strop to the handle of my wardrobe, inserted the strop into the razor and stropped a dozen times as recommended, then pushed the leaver that locks the blade in place for shaving. I did my usual shave prep of a hot shower and prepared a hot bowl of Trumper Violet shaving cream. I usually shave with a DE (Merkur 39C Barber pole Slant or 70's Gillette Adjustable "Black Beauty"), though I do own a couple of GEM Micromatic SE's that I use occasionally. I expected the AutoStrop would shave similarly to the GEMs since the blade and shaving angle are very similar.

The Shave: First stroke down the cheek was pretty good no pulling, the blade was nice and sharp. As I shaved I had to adjust to the different cutting angle which was very similar to a GEM. Finished up the wtg pass without a hitch and went for the atg (my usual way of shaving), and again found the blade to cut very nicely. Not a single nick or scrape! I cleaned up and applied my usual Nivea Sensitive post-shave balm. The shave was close to BBS, about what I normally get from my Black Beauty. I did notice a slight amount of irritation, but that was probably more due to my rusty SE technique since I don't use them a lot.

Bottom line: The first shave on the blade was successful, 41 more to go! I plan on shaving with the AutoStrop every other day, so I'll be able to compare it as time goes by to my regular shave with fresh blades. I'll post my results here on a regular basis until I get through all 42 shaves!

what model are you using ?and
what kinda auto strap blades are you using ? if you post a pic of the blade i do think that for best use the blades will need to be hone on a very fine stone best of luck to you keep us updated

Thanks for the interest from a fellow gearhead Clonesharkey! Here's a picture of my AutoStrop Model C (patent April 9, 1912) and the Strop, hone, etc. I'm using. The Blade I'm using is shown below: the box of blades is in the case and the blade itself is in the razor. It is the kind with two half moon notches on the edges to hold it in place. Thanks for the advice on the hone - I forgot to mention that I honed the blade before stropping using the vintage Goodrich Safety blade hone pictured.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Always nice to see someone willing to put their face on the line for science.
I'll follow this with great interest!

Good post Scheafo. How about telling us ablut your technique for using the hone?
I have a hone similar to yours, mine seems to be brown.
I think it's about time for me to try using my Auto Strop too.

Good post Scheafo. How about telling us ablut your technique for using the hone?
I have a hone similar to yours, mine seems to be brown.
I think it's about time for me to try using my Auto Strop too.

Basically I follow the directions that came with the hone:

SE Blades: Cutting edge placed about one quarter inch from outside edge of beveled side of hone. Using moderate pressure, move blade back and forth the long way of the stone five strokes. Reverse blade and do another five strokes. Continue the process until blade is properly sharpened.

DE Blades: Same process, but put blade in center of the hone, sharpens both edges at the same time.

I hold the hone in one hand, and I do maybe ten strokes per side and keep count. To check for sharpness I try to shave with it.

The instructions recommend stropping the blade on your palm too, though for the autostrop, I just use the strop.

Below are some are picture of the AutStrop Blade I'm using, and a Gillette Super Blue Blade aligned properly on the hone.

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
watch the blade guys they can and do snap

i think the blade hones you guys have got are a bit coarse i bet if you used a finer stone ie 8000 with stroping handel
i made a honing handel and used the back spine of a gem se im using a balsawood hone with stropping paste works a treat

Last edited:
watch the blade guys they can and do snap

i think the blade hones you guys have got are a bit coarse i bet if you used a finer stone ie 8000 with stroping handel
i made a honing handel and used the back spine of a gem se im using a balsawood hone with stropping paste works a treat

Pictures? Makes it easier to understand. Thanks!

AutoStrop Update: 5 shaves down, 37 to go on the same AutoStrop Blade

As indicated in my original post, I'm testing the original AutoStrop Claim that "500 close, comfortable shaves are guaranteed from each dozen AutoStrop blades" - see original post for more detail.

I began shave number five this morning: I stropped the blade the recommended dozen times, did my usual hot shower prep and whipped up a bowl of Trumper GFT. I did my usual WTG pass first, and noticed just a bit of tugging. On the ATG pass it seemed a bit more noticeable. Got my first nick today on this blade too, hope this isn't a portent of things to come.

So far the shaves have been pretty good. I'm not trying for BBS, I'm just aiming for CCS since that was the original AutoStrop claim. In between using the AutoStrop I'm using a Gem Micromatic every other day to keep my SE skills improving, and as a point of comparison with the AutoStrop, but I do miss my DEs! Treated myself to a nice DE shave with a brand new Feather and my Schick Krona on Sunday, ahh a touch of heaven...

Anyway, I'd rate the closeness of Autostop shave #5 as CCS, but I fear the comfort bit might be slowly slipping away. I usually get about five shaves out of a DE blade before replacing it, so I will be getting into unknown territory with this blade soon...

Stay tuned for next weeks update...

AutoStrop Update: 6 shaves down, 36 to go on the same AutoStrop Blade

As indicated in my original post, I'm testing the original AutoStrop Claim that "500 close, comfortable shaves are guaranteed from each dozen AutoStrop blades" - see original post for more detail.

Well, it's not been a week since my last post, but there's some late breaking news! Shave number 6 was DFS, and probably would have been BBS with another pass. As indicated in my previous post, shave 5 was a bit rough, so I got to thinking that considering I'm using a vintage SE blade, maybe I ought to work on my pre-shave prep more. My usual shave is with a Merkur 39C Barber Pole Slant and a Feather Blade, and with those big guns, pre-shave prep is not such a big issue - CCS in one pass, DFS in two, BBS in three consistently.

So this time before I got out of the shower I lathered up with my Musgo Real Lime Glyce pre-shave soap (contains castor oil and lime oil to soften the beard) and worked it in really well. Then instead of making lather in a bowl, I face lathered with Mitchells Woolfat, which kept the lather on my face longer and worked it in better. With the first swipe of the blade I could tell the difference, and it was actually the closest shave I have had in quite a while.

With immaculate prep, I just might make 42 shaves from that blade after all! The countdown continues... :thumbup1:

Last edited:
AutoStrop Update: 10 shaves down, 32 to go on the same AutoStrop Blade

Shave number 10 was another DFS in just two passes, BBS above the neck! I am really surprised how well the antique blade is holding up, stropping before each shave makes a big difference. I normally shave every day, but skipped yesterday, so with extra beard growth, and a day off for my face, the shave was probably the best yet. It is interesting that the WTG pass seems to pull a bit and be less comfortable than the ATG pass though.

Still doing the musgo real pre-shave prep and face lathering which has made a big difference. I also believe my SE technique is improving, because I'm getting almost no irritation. So, I've made it a quarter of the way through the 42 shaves and still getting really close shaves (although I must admit not nearly as comfortable as with my Merkur Barber Pole Slant and a Blue Israeli).

Stay tuned for next week's update...

I just came across this thread, very interesting. I have to subscribe to this one. Perhaps I will have to pull one of my AutoStrops out of mothballs and reevaluate its use.:thumbup1:

Terry

AutoStrop Update: 17 shaves down, 25 to go on the same AutoStrop Blade

Before I post this installment, hello and thanks for the encouragement to MrScorpio, Umbranaut, and Josie67. Thanks for stopping by!

Shave number 17 was another DFS needed three passes this time though! I skipped shaving yesterday (Saturday), which has helped in the past. I stropped the blade about 25 times as I can tell it is starting to get a bit dull and "pully". I did my normal musgo real pre-shave prep and face lathering, this time with Pre de Provence. The shave was a bit dicey, about three weepers around the jawline that stopped after a splash of cold water. Boy, the Nivea sensitive skin balm felt great afterwards, followed by a splash of Old Spice classic (ouch!)

I'm getting close to half way through the 42 shaves and still getting really close shaves though not as comfortable as in the beginning. I'm only using the Valet razor every other day, on the off days I'm using Feather, Astra, and Israeli Blue blades - nice smooth and sharp!

I should be past halfway by next week, so stay tuned for next week's update... :thumbup:

Last edited:
What a great idea for a post! I've also got one myself but haven't used it yet. I'll be interested to see if you can actually get the 40+ close shaves from this thing. I imagine that if you honed it you'll be able to make it last even longer than 40.

I'll be posting in the BST an NOS Value Autostrop Model C later on. This information will be valuable to anyone wanting to buy one of these or have one but never sure how to use it.

You got to remember though back then that even with some pulling, maybe a nick or two aswell that would probably be considered a good shave :lol:
I have a Valet now and like 35 blades also,so will end up doing this myself one day :001_smile

You got to remember though back then that even with some pulling, maybe a nick or two aswell that would probably be considered a good shave :lol:
I have a Valet now and like 35 blades also,so will end up doing this myself one day :001_smile

Good point MrScorpio, back then they didn’t have stainless steel blades (which hold an edge better but weren’t available until the early sixties). I think we are spoiled by the super sharp Feathers, Astras, etc. of today. I’m not expecting a comfortable shave by today’s standards, but I’m trying to see if by stropping the blades regularly I can still get reasonably close shaves (which I’ve been able to do thus far) without too many nicks and scrapes. I’ve not ruled out the possibility of honing the blade if the shaves start getting too bloody though – I still need to look presentable at work! :w00t: BTW, I’m at 20 shaves from the blade now, I’ll give a full progress report next week.

Top Bottom