What's new

Newbie needing lather advice

I have been wet shaving for several years using a eShave Pure Badger brush and various creams. Until about 5 weeks ago, I was not really making lather. It was at that time that I found B&B and started trying to learn how to actually use the stuff I had. I also picked up a DE (Muhle R89) and have been extremely pleased with the difference.

As I settled into DE shaving, I decided it was time to get a real brush, so I ordered a custom Shavemac in Silvertip. My new brush arrived yesterday, and I decided to give her a run this morning.

I started with my usual prep. Before getting into the shower, I filled up my new RBecker Scuttle with hot water (both the scuttle and the mixing bowl area) to warm the ceramic as I showered and conditioned my beard. As I showered, I let my new Shavemac soak in the scuttle's mixing bowl.

After my shave, I got ready to make my lather. I emptied the scuttle to put fresh hot tap water in the warming section, and shook out my brush in the sink. I added an almond size amount of lather into the breach of the brush and began to work on my lather. The lather started to build, but didn't really "explode" out of the brush. As I worked the lather, several times I would add a few drops of water to coax a little more development from it. When I had what looked like some decent lather, I went to put it on my face, but got a very thin cream coming from the brush. :blink: I am worried that my lather was too wet because, as I tried to use a bit of pressure on the brush to get work some of the cream out of the breach to use on my face, I saw a very watery mixture with large soft bubbles coming out.

Do I need to significantly alter my technique with this new much more dense brush? Was my mistake in not squeezing the water out of the brush? I would really appreciate advise from some of you more experienced wet shavers. Thanks in advance for the help!

Yes, it sounds watered down to me. I would watch how long you lather for, try going a little longer. Only add a little water at a time. Thin lather is usually foamy and full of micro air bubbles, closer to bath soap bubbles and, like you said, will dissipate to a thin layer on your face. In fact, it sounds like a lot of extra water. How much exactly did you shake out of your brush? I like mine rather dry if I'm lathering to a wet face or wet bowl. You can always add water, it is in the taking away that's...well...difficult

Yes, it sounds watered down to me. I would watch how long you lather for, try going a little longer. Only add a little water at a time. Thin lather is usually foamy and full of micro air bubbles, closer to bath soap bubbles and, like you said, will dissipate to a thin layer on your face. In fact, it sounds like a lot of extra water. How much exactly did you shake out of your brush? I like mine rather dry if I'm lathering to a wet face or wet bowl. You can always add water, it is in the taking away that's...well...difficult

Thanks for the advice. I shook the brush several times into the sink. As I mentioned earlier, I did not squeeze the brush out, but just flicked it with my wrist... I guess I wasn't expecting the new brush to hold quite as much water as it did...

Top Bottom