What's new

First shave with my Dovo Special (Tortoise)

Ordered my 5/8 Dovo Special for $105 from vintagebladesllc (best price I could find)...

Boy was everyone right about this one... It is WAY better looking in person! Not that it didn't look nice in the pictures, but those pictures just do not give the credit the razor deserves!

As for the shave... The razor was sent to me shave ready, and the blade looks especially nice. However, I am a complete beginner when it comes to straights, so there was a little pulling, as well as a nick here and there. All of this I completely attribute to my technique.

Here is where I beg for any suggestions on my shaving technique... I really wonder if I am using the appropriate blade angle, and the right amount of pressure for that matter. I think I may be using to large of an angle, thus leading to my razor skipping. I may even be using too much pressure, but that I am not entirely sure on... Thoughts?

Regardless of this first shave, I know my technique will improve and I will only enjoy this razor more and more as time goes on. Very happy with my purchase! Oh... did I mention how good it looks? :lol:

I'm in the same boat as you, bought the same razor a while back and am still trying to learn how to use it properly. It really is a stunning razor though. I think I need to get mine honed because it definately isn't as sharp as when I got it, probably my stropping caused it to loose its edge.

Keep the blade almost flat against your face, a really low angle

Thank you SO much for that little bit of advice! It made my shave go so much better. Granted, it still has a long way to go, but now I can at least see a buttery smooth straight razor shave as that light at the end of the tunnel. Before I thought it to be impossible :001_smile

congrats! chimensch gave me that same tip a couple of weeks ago and it really got me rolling. i am sure i would never have attempted this with out all the fine help and support from this site.

congrats! chimensch gave me that same tip a couple of weeks ago and it really got me rolling. i am sure i would never have attempted this with out all the fine help and support from this site.

I couldn't agree more! Everyone around here has been more than helpful and has made my transition into DE and straight go a lot more smoothly than it probably should have been :lol: Thanks to all!

Ordered my 5/8 Dovo Special for $105 from vintagebladesllc (best price I could find)...

Boy was everyone right about this one... It is WAY better looking in person! Not that it didn't look nice in the pictures, but those pictures just do not give the credit the razor deserves!

As for the shave... The razor was sent to me shave ready, and the blade looks especially nice. However, I am a complete beginner when it comes to straights, so there was a little pulling, as well as a nick here and there. All of this I completely attribute to my technique.

Here is where I beg for any suggestions on my shaving technique... I really wonder if I am using the appropriate blade angle, and the right amount of pressure for that matter. I think I may be using to large of an angle, thus leading to my razor skipping. I may even be using too much pressure, but that I am not entirely sure on... Thoughts?

Regardless of this first shave, I know my technique will improve and I will only enjoy this razor more and more as time goes on. Very happy with my purchase! Oh... did I mention how good it looks? :lol:

I bought the same razor from the same place and agree with you about the attractiveness.

However, I practiced my technique to the point that after six weeks I can look just like Joel and Lynn Abrams when I shave. However, I don't get the results and the injuries come when three passes doesn't get the job done. When I started I looked like 8 different people trying simultaneously to unscrew a light bulb.

I am more than willing to admit that I'm a novice at this but decided to try another brand to see if I am suited to another brand. Today I ordered a Wade and Butcher shave ready razor and I may also get a Theirs-Issard. I looked at them today but got confused and couldn't tell in most cases whether most of the price was for a great razor or a good razor and great handle. Hopefully this isn't a symptom of RAD (Razor Acquisition Disorder) but I have really gotten where I can shave in a graceful manner with regard to appearance, angles, lathering, stropping, etc., and I'm ready to try another brand.

So I'm going to hopefully learn something in the coming week. I have also ordered a scuttle from Georgetown Pottery with a rubber stopper in hopes of doing a better job keeping the lather warm.

I think the shaving game is like most others, in that you can get a lot of valuable help but no two journeys to success are exactly the same. At least this is my justification for further investment. I don't have a lot of extracurricular activities so if I invest in something I enjoy I think it is money well spent.

I've been using the Special for 4-5 months now. After several weeks of shaving and stropping I sent it for honing again and continued to learn how to shave (angle, technique and stropping) with a straight. I guess after 3-4 months of learning the blade began to pull again.
Instead of sending it out again since I think my stropping was dulling the blade I purchased a barbers hone, looked in the wiki for instructions and tried to get that blade back to "shave ready." 4-6 passes each side on a wet barbers hone, 50-60 carefully done stropping passes and the next shave was fantastic.

My point is that as you learn your angles and technique, you will dull the blade. Don't forget to either send it away or hone it up yourself.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. Any facts I present here are from the view of a FNG who is also learning. Corrections are welcome!!

I've been using the Special for 4-5 months now. After several weeks of shaving and stropping I sent it for honing again and continued to learn how to shave (angle, technique and stropping) with a straight. I guess after 3-4 months of learning the blade began to pull again.
Instead of sending it out again since I think my stropping was dulling the blade I purchased a barbers hone, looked in the wiki for instructions and tried to get that blade back to "shave ready." 4-6 passes each side on a wet barbers hone, 50-60 carefully done stropping passes and the next shave was fantastic.

My point is that as you learn your angles and technique, you will dull the blade. Don't forget to either send it away or hone it up yourself.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. Any facts I present here are from the view of a FNG who is also learning. Corrections are welcome!!

Yup! I am right there with you and am sure that my learning process will dull the blade sooner than later. Luckily I have a barbers hone at the ready and should be able to keep this razor in tip top shape :001_cool:

Top Bottom