What's new

Okay, who got the "Huge Vintage Gillette Adjustable Safety Razor Display"

Huh,

Who was it...... Who got this HUUUUUUUGE One ???

( Cut and pasted into here for prosperity's sake :001_smile )

Wasn't me cause look at that HUUUUGE International Postage :lol:
proxy.php

Huge Vintage Gillette Adjustable Safety Razor Display in Lucite Case. My father worked at Gillette's for 40 years and this was a unique item given to him after it had been used during an important conference. The razor is an adjustable type made of solid brass (it is non-magnetic, I checked) and measures 16" long and 7" wide. Also included in the big case is a painted solid wood box of double edge blades that is 7" long. The thick Lucite case has a hinged door and is lined with cloth satin type material. The cloth reads - Gillette Adjustable. The case itself measures 32" long and about 10" wide when closed. The razor is perfect, the wood blade display has a chip on the back side, the cloth cushion material has some brown foxing from age, the Lucite case has a few issues - 1 small crack, 1 side and end is loose but just needs to be glues back in place, the hinges need to be screwed back into place, there is some glue residue from tape my father had used to keep it closed securely. Basically the case just needs some cleaning and minor repairs to make it look fine again, the razor is perfect. It weighs nearly 46 pounds as shown so the shipping will be based on a packed weight of 54 pounds double boxed. My father had told me this was probably a "one of a kind" item and he said it had been made at the machine shop in the Gillette factory at South Boston Massachusetts.
proxy.php

Last edited:
Maybe old Paul decide it was time for a new look?

proxy.php

Maybe he wanted something with a little more adjustability than his DE axe...

Last edited:
This is like a demonstration piece for an ancient history lesson that teachers can use in schools.

There was a time, once upon a time, long long ago, when there were companies in the United States that actually made things.

Gillette actually had a machine shop. And they had real machines in the shop. And machinists who knew how to work those machines. And they actually made stuff out of brass and other metals. And all that was actually in the United States...

I bid on it, but it took off past me in the final 20 seconds or so.
It would have been neat to have, but I didn't lose much sleep over not getting it.
I set my limit and it got away. That's how it goes.
A really neat item. I don't know when another like it will make an appearance.
-- Chet

It definitely wasn't me. I remember being completely baffled when I first saw it listed. It didn't have a serial number or a date code, which seemed strange. And then I couldn't figure out why the handle had screws in it. As I looked closer, I was surprised to see that it looked like a nine position Toggle, but with only the numbers "One" and "Three" present. At this point, something seemed very amiss. So, I began reading the description. 16" long and 7" wide. Hmm, I thought. Surely a typo. 46 pounds. What?!?! Completely perplexed, I go to e-mail someone I know who knows a fair amount about Toggles to see if he might have any idea what is going on. And then it hits me. An advertisement promotional piece. I felt really stupid. Sometimes, I can be very, very slow.

wawaWhattt???? Holy smokes that thing is HUGE! At $940, some people have more money than they know what to do with. Almost as bad as when i saw last weeks 7 razor gillette lot ended $2500!:bored:

Well, it's Official I'm gonna start making useless crap...Put Gillettes name on it...call it "one of a kind" (probably) and list it on Ebay and laugh myself into retirement.:tongue_sm

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom