What's new

12 down and it keeps getting better!

Today I had my 12th straight shave and thanks to the advice here, they're just getting better...and easier! :w00t:

I know I've still got a fair way to go, but I think I've reached a milestone...a SAS (Socially Acceptable Shave) that won't need a touch up from a DE :001_smile

I've got a few rough patches: under my jawline towards my right ear, the crease below my bottom lip and the center of my filtrum. I might have been able to finish up below my jaw but I thought I'd stop after 3 passes! Better yet, absolutely no nicks or cuts...although I had a very close call on the point of my chin with the last W-E XTG! :scared:

I'm still just using the one razor, French 4/8 round, despite having a selection of straights calling out to be honed! :lol:

My technique still needs a lot of work...nearly 40 minutes, start to finish is probably a bit excessive :blush:

I think my stropping is improving, I'm getting a bit faster and more confident...which probably explains the nick on the strop as I was finishing! :lol: Fortunately, it's a clean cut, on the edge, near the top.

The biggest change in my routine was shaving 2 days in a row, before today I've left an extra day's growth before getting the straight out. Shaving a single day's growth from my chin (particularly course there) was much more straightforward :001_smile

I have given the French a quick "touch up" on a Chinese 12k, 20 with slurry, 20 with just water and 10 dry. I think this might have made up for some of my earlier attempts at stropping!

Again, thanks to you all for the advice (direct and in other gents' threads) and encouragement :thumbup:

Good work! If you are doing well with a 4/8, just wait until you get a larger razor in your hands. Small razors can shave just as well as larger ones, but doing so demands more skill from the user.

Good work! If you are doing well with a 4/8, just wait until you get a larger razor in your hands. Small razors can shave just as well as larger ones, but doing so demands more skill from the user.

I like the size and feel of the 4/8 (my others, not shave ready, are all 6/8), but I'm looking forward to getting my Gold Dollar #208 13/16 back from being honed by Bart to see what the differences are :001_smile

Congrats! Glad it is going well. I started with a smaller razor but now find I prefer 7/8 and 8/8" razors.

Top Bottom