What's new

Is $18 a good price?

For an unused, still with tag attached Gem Micromatic Model G Clog-pruf razor? As it's never been used, it comes with its case in excellent condition, the original box of blades - unused also and unopened - and the outer cardboard box the razor and case was packaged in.

$18 + shipping. Should I bite? I'm not too familiar with GEM razors so I thought I'd ask. I have seen a few selling in the BST thread for more than $18 not in this condition and not with a case or original blades. But then again I don't know if those were older than this Model G or any other details as related to GEM.

I think the rule-of-thumb is that the case adds around $10 to the value.

Do you want a shaver or a collectible? I think you'd be overpaying if you just wanted to give SE shaving a try.

If you're strictly looking for a Micromatic Clog-Pruf to shave with you might be able to shave a few dollars off if you don't need the case. If you value the very newness and the nice case, etc. I'd say you've found a nice deal, particularly if you want to collect and display the razor.

- Chris

If you're strictly looking for a Micromatic Clog-Pruf to shave with you might be able to shave a few dollars off if you don't need the case. If you value the very newness and the nice case, etc. I'd say you've found a nice deal, particularly if you want to collect and display the razor.

- Chris

+1. If I were you, I would buy it.

Is a Model G a fairly recent one in terms of GEM's history?

I'm not familiar with the "Model G" designation. The Micromatic Clog-Pruf seems to have been popular in the middle of the 20 or so years of the Micromatic model run (starting in the mid 30's). These are notoriously hard to date.

Last edited:
Interestingly, I just read the writing on the cardboard box (the metal case, razor and blades come in a cardboard box). It says:

Stock No. 29-R-1035
1 Razor, Safety, with 5 blades
P.O. No. 1640EA JCQMD Feb. 19, 1942
Contractor - American Safety Razor Corp.

So it would seem it's from a contracted purchase order in 1942.

So yours may have been purchased under government contract. The wording on my posted ad implies that they became unavailable retail during the war (as did so many other consumer goods).

So yours may have been purchased under government contract. The wording on my posted ad implies that they became unavailable retail during the war (as did so many other consumer goods).

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm not really into razors for collecting and have been looking to actually try one of these razors and figured if it was in this kind of unused state, I couldn't blame it on the razor if it wasn't a good shave.

Also, on the end of the cardboard box, it says:
Model G
Gem Micromatic Clog-pruf Razor

Maybe 'Model G' means Model Government? lol

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm not really into razors for collecting and have been looking to actually try one of these razors and figured if it was in this kind of unused state, I couldn't blame it on the razor if it wasn't a good shave.

Also, on the end of the cardboard box, it says:
Model G
Gem Micromatic Clog-pruf Razor

My only caveat is that once you've actually used it, it loses a good $5 - $10 of its value. That's right! $5 that you'll never see again. :smile:

Gotta love this cheap hobby. Really.

My only caveat is that once you've actually used it, it loses a good $5 - $10 of its value. That's right! $5 that you'll never see again. :smile:

Gotta love this cheap hobby. Really.

Well I guess I could buy it and put it in the top of the closet for 20 years and then maybe double my money by selling it. lol

I wouldn't use it, just because the amount of NOS items out there is finite and shrinking. It just seems wrong to rip open one of the few remaining ones.

If it's at all helpful, these razors are pretty bulletproof (bullet-pruf?). I wouldn't let you blame a used one anyhow. :smile:

FWIW, I got a shave grade Clog-Pruf as part of a lot of 4 Gems, average price $9 shipped. I might have thought that was high, except that one of the other razors was surely worth more. I got a bullet tip Micromatic for $3.70 and an open comb for $7.80. If you don't care about looks, you don't need to pay much.

OK, I couldn't help myself. I bought it. Here it is:

proxy.php

I won't shave with it but instead will display it in my curio cabinet along side this little fella I picked up on eBay for $4.00+ship:

proxy.php

I was going to convert the toy truck into a used-blade bank by putting a slot in the top of it with my Dremel tool. This little toy truck should be thankful it got spared by a NOS GEM razor.

I'm not really into collecting but I just couldn't pass this up. I guess I have a very very mild case of AD. Please send positive vibes that it doesn't get worse. :tongue_sm

Last edited:
For an unused, still with tag attached Gem Micromatic Model G Clog-pruf razor? As it's never been used, it comes with its case in excellent condition, the original box of blades - unused also and unopened - and the outer cardboard box the razor and case was packaged in.

$18 + shipping. Should I bite? I'm not too familiar with GEM razors so I thought I'd ask. I have seen a few selling in the BST thread for more than $18 not in this condition and not with a case or original blades. But then again I don't know if those were older than this Model G or any other details as related to GEM.

That's an incredible price for a cased razor!

[YOUTUBE]kExTJ6SLXV4[/YOUTUBE]

Sorry for posting an annoying ad, that's how my mind works.

Top Bottom