What's new

Gold Coffee Filters

Ok, let's try this again, in the correct forum. :blushing:

Do these things really make as big of a difference in flavor as people say they do? I'm getting close to running out of paper filters. Do any of you think I should just go ahead and get a reusable gold filter? :001_smile

proxy.php

Some say they do, but as with anything else, there's different quality filters. I've seen several discussions on these at CoffeeGeeks, so check for threads there.

Personally, I don't drink a lot of drip so I don't gave much to add besides above.

Personally, I don't notice a difference in flavour between paper filters and the re-usable one that came with my machine. I prefer paper filters though, just because cleaning is easier...lift out the used filter and grounds and then just rinse off the holder...less chance of getting grounds in the sink and clogging the drain.

Paper filters trap all the sediment if that's important to you but they also trap some of the oils and essences that give coffee flavor. The metal filter allows all of it to pass but you do get some sediment. Some machines come with cheaper metal filters that either have no gold plate or minimal-avoid those.

I like it, but it's not for everyone.

I can taste the paper in paper filtration. It puts me off. I don't mind a little sediment.. (it tastes like the coffee that it is, but the texture can be unwelcome by some)

I do like the fact that coffee oils and aromatics will be in the cup rather than in the trash when using a gold tone filter.

That having been said, my french press gets more use than any other brewer in my home. (and I have quite a few)

+1 on the oils. The idea is to get your machine to make coffee similar to a french press in that the oils which add flavor remain in your coffee. However, keep in mind that if you have cholesterol problems and drink coffee a lot, you'll want to stick with the paper filters so as to keep the oil out.

Jason laid out the pro's and cons pretty well. I used to like the gold filter in a cheap pot I had before I got the Technivorm. In the Technivorm it was off. I now use the Oxygen bleached paper filters from Sweet Maria's.
I rinse them in hot water before using and get no paper taste.

Grab one of these while you are there.

Last edited:
It's a personal preference thing. I was never that enamored of gold filters, so I use good-quality paper filters (and make sure I rinse them before use).

Nice concept, but flows too fast for me...and I use a finer grind than most. Bleached paper filters don't taste after a rinse as far as my tongue can tell. The brown ones...horrid.

What puts me off the gold filters is the plastic. When I use it, I usually set the grind a little rougher because it flows faster and has larger holes than paper.

Personally, I think the gold filters aren't that great. The holes are too large and it allows some coffee grounds to find their way into my brew.

I'd go with the non-bleached paper filters for the best flavor of coffee. Just my opinion though, and as with most things, ymmv.

Top Bottom