What's new

the toothpaste myth?

Well is it a myth? Has anyone tried pasting a linen or canvas strop with the stuff and does it work?? Would love to hear the results.
Also a common trick on the knife making seen is to use Autosol which is a metal polisher....anyone been brave enough to try this?
If you have any other unusual pastes then lets here them :laugh::thumbup:

Last edited:
Used it a few hours ago . Leaves a buttery smooth edge .

I have a canvas secondary strop that I put it on . Right next to the famous Ruprazor horse hide Paladin strop . Works great for me .

Also it's available in most bathrooms . No need to buy anything else . Why pay more ???

cityjim

Actually I prefer the edge from tooth paste over cromox or especially diamond pastes .

Diamond paste leaves a ragged edge and it's not very smooth on the skin .

Yes it does work . Just use a light coating of tooth paste . It goes a long way . Then strop like you normally would .

cityjim

I wanted to created some kind of pasted strop with my narrower strop. Is there anyone else that would recommend using toothpaste over the traditional chromium oxide? I just wanted something that I can use to maintain the edge when stropping on leather just won't be enough. Thanks.

Please pardon my newness but since i have not worked with pastes of any kind before could you give me some indication of the amount of paste you are using, for comparison is it the same as say a full toothbrush load? more?less? and do you then spread it along the length of the strop or blop it on and spread it with the blade itself? I really like these simple solutions. kudos

Ian

Please pardon my newness but since i have not worked with pastes of any kind before could you give me some indication of the amount of paste you are using, for comparison is it the same as say a full toothbrush load? more?less? and do you then spread it along the length of the strop or blop it on and spread it with the blade itself? I really like these simple solutions. kudos

Ian

Hi Ian. I'm not sure if you are directing this question at me but I'm a newbie too. I am going to try to take some denim and cover lightly with some toothpaste, let it dry and strop on it the next day. I'll start off with a small amount and increase it later if I can't get any improvement on my razor. I've never used CrOx so I can't say much about that. I'm just looking for an affordable method to keep my straight razor sharp whenever the leather strop just isn't enough. I'll let you know how it works out.

I have to admit I have never tried it, but my Dentist tells me that most tooth pastes have a very fine grit, often just common silicone.

When I was in the Navy (wooden ships, round shot and rammers) It was common practice to use toothpaste to polish the scratches off the "unbreakable" (read plastic) watch crystals. It really worked well, so I see no reason why it would not work on a cloth strop.

I may make a cork strop for my Rolls, and give it a try, with toothpaste. :shaving:

Toothpaste is good for the razor's teeth.

Can you use it on a leather strop? Or would linen be best? I have a leather strop available.

Hi Ian. I'm not sure if you are directing this question at me but I'm a newbie too. I am going to try to take some denim and cover lightly with some toothpaste, let it dry and strop on it the next day. I'll start off with a small amount and increase it later if I can't get any improvement on my razor. I've never used CrOx so I can't say much about that. I'm just looking for an affordable method to keep my straight razor sharp whenever the leather strop just isn't enough. I'll let you know how it works out.
/QUOTE]

Thanks i appreciate that, i always like the simple solution! i am just about ready to give it a go myself, its hard to imagine it doing any harm and i will report back with any results i feel are conclusive.

wow this is turning in to a testing ground for tooth paste!!
I think there is no reason why it shouldn't work, as said before me its use is not only limited to cleaning ones teeth but just about anything that needs a light polish!!
Now all we need to do is determine which 'paste' is best..........now that could take quite some time!!

The only question I have is, Where does it "fit in" within a selection of pastes? Is it coarser then CrOx? or is it more desirable then dovo white?:thumbup1:

I know guys that cut the "fog" off plastic headlight lenses with this stuff...and,it really does improve the clarity

Hi,

Toothpastes tend to contain one of two abrasives; either calcium carbonate or silica.

Of the two, the silica based ones are the more abrasive.

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Tried this on a little slant wedge I have, that just isn't cutting like I want it to. Pasted a pair of old jeans lightly on the thigh, let it dry, and gave it a good stropping. I don't know if we're supposed to use it like crox or dovo white, so I choice the latter with my standard 50 passes on linen, followed by my normal leather stropping routine. Man, it was back in fighting shape and buttery smooth, like the day I got it.

Thanks for the advice gents. May have to buy a newspaper one day and give that a try as well.

Tried this on a little slant wedge I have, that just isn't cutting like I want it to. Pasted a pair of old jeans lightly on the thigh, let it dry, and gave it a good stropping. I don't know if we're supposed to use it like crox or dovo white, so I choice the latter with my standard 50 passes on linen, followed by my normal leather stropping routine. Man, it was back in fighting shape and buttery smooth, like the day I got it.

Thanks for the advice gents. May have to buy a newspaper one day and give that a try as well.

What kind of toothpaste?

Top Bottom