What's new

Heads and Handles?

How interchangeable are the heads and handles of 3-piece DE's? I want to put a decent head on my Parker 65R to keep that great handle from going to waste!

Would something like a Tech work? How about one of the 3-piece Merkurs?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I don't know about the Parker vs. Gillette.

I didn't try myself but the Merkur 3 pieces and Gillette 3 pieces should be interchangeable...

Muhle is not exactly the same thread.

european razors are 5 metric. All Gillettes and other American made razors are 10-32. These two threads are almost identical - the 5mm is very slightly larger. 10-32 heads will fit on metric handles, with a tiny amount of slop, which usually doesn't cause a problem when tightened. Sometimes a metric head will fit a 10-32 handle. You could run a 5mm tap into the handle, if it didn't fit. I'm not sure if your handle metric or SAE. Best advise - try it!
Skipnord

FWIW, I have successfully put Gillette heads on my Merkur handles and vice versa, just to see if it would work. Unless Parker uses some unusual size, I'd think you'd probably be okay. Even if it doesn't work, a Gillette or Merkur 3 piece with the original handle would still be a worthwhile razor to own.

Most Gillettes have worn thread on the handles, so these handle will thread on to a metric head like a Muhle. EJ and a Goodfella.
A newly made handle with #10-32 threads won't thread onto a metric head.
I rethread my handles metric upon request.
The reason I don't thread them all metric is most of my clients use vintage Gillette heads and these can be worn under size, I don't want too sloppy of a fit.

Last edited:
Parker being an Indian company, I'm going to go out on a limb and say they use the same metric 5 thread as the Europeans - minus Muhle, who just wants to be different for some reason. :rolleyes5

Gonna find a Merkur open comb and hope for the best. Thanks guys!

Top Bottom