What's new

Custom Genuine Ivory Brush

Rudy Vey at Ultimate Pen Designs constructed this brush for me from genuine pre-ban ivory. He is a great craftsman. I think the cross-grain is lovely. This is a great value considering the only other non-vintage brush in genuine ivory available is the Plisson Ivoire line that starts at $1100.

Lovely brush. Rudy is a true craftsman. Which knot did you choose?

It is a 22mm Grade A Silvertip (22 was the max size for the ivory blank). This will probably be my heirloom brush and not see much use because it is just so beautiful and I wouldn't want to ding it on a sink. Considering that tens of thousands of elephants were slaughtered for their tusks before the international ivory ban, we ought to consume pre-ban ivory with great respect and moderation. But at least the handle, if properly maintained, will outlive me.

Last edited:
It is a 22mm Grade A Silvertip (22 was the max size for the ivory blank). This will probably be my heirloom brush and not see much use because it is just so beautiful and I wouldn't want to ding it on a sink. Considering that tens of thousands of elephants were slaughtered for their tusks before the international ivory ban, we ought to consume pre-ban ivory with great respect and moderation. But at least the handle, if properly maintained, with outlive me.

I also like the shape you chose for the brush -- very classic. Enjoy!

Top Bottom