What's new

How do you get smells out of leather shoes?

I just finished reading the thread on cleaning and polishing shoes and saw many comments about shoes lasting for years if properly cared for.

I keep my shoes cleaned and polished but generally have to replace all my leather shoes every couple years or so due to the fact that they generally start to smell pretty funky by that time. :blushing:

Does anyone know of good ways to get rid of the smell?:confused1

I never where the same pair of shoes two days in a row, but my feet sweat a lot and my shoes tend to be pretty damp by the time I get home from work everyday. Spray-on antiperspirant deodorant helps a little with the sweating but tends to dry my feet out.

Specifically a PEET Boat Dryer available many places including Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas, and other outdoors stores. This style is the only one that won't damage your shoes. At the end of the day, toss the shoes on and pull them in the am.

PEETS

I'll give you an idea on the effectiveness of cedar shoe trees. I have them in a pair of Nike sneakers that I have worn to the gym 5 days a week for over a year. The sneakers still look brand new and smell clean.

Like others have said, cedar shoe trees are a must. I buy shoe trees every time I buy a pair of shoes. No offense but it could be the quality of the leather used to make the shoes. My feet sweet a lot also and I've never had a pair of shoes smell. Good quality leather should be able to breathe better and should not smell.

Last edited:
Cedar shoe trees are wonderful.

You might also try filling old socks (clean, mind you) with baking soda and stuffing them into the shoes for a few days. That should draw out the odors.

leaving your socks in the sun for 12 hours will un-stink them (they will still be crusty though). Ask me how I know...

also freezing your denim de stinks it.

I would put shoes in the sun before the freezer

proxy.php

"the power of Christ compels you. the power of Christ compels you!"

until you can get some shoe trees, a couple of squirts of Febreeze will take the edge off.

Additionally, do not wear your fine leather shoes more than once every 3 days. Foot sweat is acidic and breaks down the leather if allowed to stay. The leather needs to dry out properly.

Cedar shoe trees always. Gold Bond foot powder on your feet when it going to be a particularly sweaty day. The foot powder goes double for your sockless summer shoes (heh, alliteration).

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I've got a couple pairs of cedar shoe trees on the way and I'll probably follow some of the other suggestions as well.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Oh darn . . . I take a multiple approach
  1. Three pairs of shoes in rotation (2 black and 1 brown)
  2. Odour eaters . . . sports or work-boot
  3. Sneaker treatment spray
  4. Cedar shoe trees
  5. Bag of volcanic rock hanging in clothes closet as well as cedar hangers

Kinda makes sense when I say my new dress shoes were purchased in 1992

as a last resort , give them a spray with lysol aerosol...let them dry , after that dr. scholls shoe spray....i disagree about shoe powders,i use them,i cannot see micro fine powder "clogging" leather,sweat will dissapate most all the talc...i find that the generic fake gold bond foot powder sold at the dollar stores is every bit as good as the real one,saving you 7-8 dollars...if odor persists,try wearing only pure ,or at least 85% thick white cotton socks,acryllic and synthetics really add to your troubles...in winter wool is great also,but your socks should be washed with a little bleach in the water,this really helps..

I wear dress shoes pretty infrequently, so I just keep cedar shoe trees in them when they aren't worn. For the shoes I wear more often in the summer months (a pair of Vans authentics, and a pair of Topsiders) I go with the odoreater charcoal insoles, and they work magic.

Forgive me for asking the obvious, but have you tried changing your brand of sock? I have found that certain brands/types of sock cause excessive foot sweating, which is why I only wear wool socks with dress shoes now.

Top Bottom