What's new

Is Sugar Making A Comeback

Well it appears Hunt's Tomato Ketchup has broken the ice. I was in Walmart today doing some shopping and needed ketchup. I always buy Hunt's brand because I think its better then Heinz. To my surprise all sizes of Hunt's now have real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. And of course its 100% all natural. So I am hoping more food companies come back to real sugar.

One can only hope.

I rarely drink 'soft drinks' but I do like the occasional Fernet and Coke. I wish Coca Cola would bring back Coke with real cane sugar... like they have in South America (or at least they use to have).

No stores in my area carried Mountain Dew with real sugar. And I noticed it said for a limited time.

Ask a store manager. There is one Walgreens that carries the real sugar MD and pepsi. That is because one of the employee's likes it and gets the manager to order it.

UPDATE: This latest run of pepsi and md with sugar ended in February, so when the distributors are out, that's it for awhile.

Michael

Last edited:

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Here is the problem with the Pepsi and Mt Dew throwbacks. They arent made with cane sugar, but instead beet sugar. It still better than the HFCS, but still off the mark IMHO.

Want real Imperial Cane Sugar?

proxy.php

personally, I don't consider processed white sugar to be "natural"

It's just as evil a HFCS in causing medical problems

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I wonder if the rise in the use of Ethanol is increasing the cost of corn to the point where it is no longer financially beneficial to chemically alter it to make HFCS

It seems to me that drinking whatever should be in moderation. What I mean is a few sodas a week would not hurt you but 48 would. I am not convenced that all this "fake sugar" substatute is any better for you than pure sugar. The pure stuff when too much is consumed can cause diabeties, where as the fake stuff causes cancer and who knows what they will find out about Splenda in 5 years. LOL :)

While I do like the trend of eliminating HFCS, the problem I see is that 'real' sugar has somehow gained the image of a healthy food - especially when contrasted with HFCS. Sucrose (table sugar), which is what most of these products will use instead of HFCS, has nearly as much fructose per serving as "High Fructose" Corn Syrup.

Real sugar in moderation is probably ok, but it's best to avoid unnecessarily sweetened foods anyways. At least fruit naturally balances its sugars with fiber that slows digestion and absorption of those sugars. The diabetes risk is no less from cane sugar beverages than from HFCS, that's for sure.

Here is the problem with the Pepsi and Mt Dew throwbacks. They arent made with cane sugar, but instead beet sugar. It still better than the HFCS, but still off the mark IMHO.

Want real Imperial Cane Sugar?

proxy.php

I remember buying this type of Dr. Pepper in Waco.

I wonder if the rise in the use of Ethanol is increasing the cost of corn to the point where it is no longer financially beneficial to chemically alter it to make HFCS

Thats an excellent point. And I understand the cost of beef is going to skyrocket because of corn. So it appears Hunts also sees the cost of corn going through the roof and is switching back to sugar because its cheaper.

I remember buying this type of Dr. Pepper in Waco.

At Chicken Express (I don't remember if there is one in Austin) they have Dublin DP in the fountain. Also, DP in response to the Pepsi products came out with Heritage Dp for awhile.

Michael

At Chicken Express (I don't remember if there is one in Austin) they have Dublin DP in the fountain. Also, DP in response to the Pepsi products came out with Heritage Dp for awhile.

Michael

They had it at Jason's Deli for awhile too.

Check your Spanish grocers. All their products have real sugar in them since it is a cash crop for them. Government protectionist measures none the less but it's better for us.

Top Bottom