What's new

Lessons I've learned after 8 Weeks of DE shavin

I'm closing in on the end of my 8th week of DE shaving, i thought I'd share some of the lessons I've learned so far. Obviously, YMMV......

1.) For me, there is no difference in performance in high quality shave cream. After practice I'm getting decent lather from everything I've tried. The only difference I can tell between TOBS, e-shave, and Musgo Real is the scent. Lather is more about technique then product.

2.) The key to getting good lather from soap is to take a long time loading the brush. Don't skimp here. I tend to keep the brush on the soap for about 90 seconds. Anything less and the lather sucks because there is not enough soap.

3.) Blades I really like: Red Pack IPs, Yellow Gillette 7 o'clock, Dorco
Other Blades I'd use: Astra, Crystals
Blades I hate: Derby, Bic Chrome Platinum

4.) It is not worth trying to push to get a few extra shaves out of a blade. They are cheap so just put in a new blade before you start having issues.

5.) I like pre-shave oil. I got good, close, comfortable shaves for the first 6 weeks, but since i started using e-shave pre-shave oil, my shaves have been even more comfortable. I don't think pre-shave oil is hype.

6.) Post Shave: Don't over use alum. It can irritate the skin if over used. I only use it for nicks now. I like Trumper's skin food to re-hydrate my face after drying my face. I follow with a splash of alcohol bases AS. I like the idea of disinfecting any microscopic nicks or cuts. For me, AS only makes my face too dry.

E-Shave lavender pre-shave oil.

I chose it over a few others mainly because I work near their Rockefeller Center shop and it was easy to pick up.

+1 on the Alum comment. I'm only a few weeks in and when I ordered an alum and started using it it seems like things got "worse" as far as irritation goes. Maybe the block is rough or scratchy or something. My last shave was a three passer and I skipped the alum and gave my face a nice dose of witchhazel followed by ASB and my face felt pretty good and my shave bumps are starting to clear up pretty well. Really focused on blade angle as well.

I've been at this a little over three months now.
The alum seems to be even more YMMV than most things about shaving. Personally I find it treats me better than witch hazel does. In fact I think except for switching to a DE it might just be the best thing I ever did for my face.
I didn't enjoy the pre shave oil experience when I tried it. I just didn't like the way it felt going on. But I think using Proraso pre shave makes for a beautiful shave experience.
I agree about stretching the blade. When i first started I would use a blade til it started to perform badly to see how many shaves I could get. But life's too short to put up with that nonsense when the blades are so cheap. Now I go four shaves per blade and all the blades I like are good for at least that long.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
This is what makes this board so fun. Sharing what we have found out and getting tips from one and other. What's more . . . we get to tell a story and people listen.

You have learned the key things that I learned after lots and lots of practice and experience. Keep it up.

I chose it over a few others mainly because I work near their Rockefeller Center shop and it was easy to pick up.
Me too :thumbup1:

I see you have a lot of lime-scented creams. The guy at that e-shave store showed me a new lime shave cream that can only be bought there. You may want to check it out.

As far as the oil goes, I'm going to try and make some myself when I have the time. That particular e-shave oil you are using is a mixture of almond oil and grapeseed oil (a little lavender in there for added scent).

4.) It is not worth trying to push to get a few extra shaves out of a blade. They are cheap so just put in a new blade before you start having issues.

I agree, but the frugal part of me does want to know just when that blade is through.

So I've adopted what I call the "Branch Rickey" approach. I will dump a blade one shave before it goes bad.

What I've found is this:

DE Blades 4-6 good shaves normally, but I can push certain blades to 8-10 shaves

SE Blades 8-10 good shaves and then rapidly downhill.

Of course everyone is different, unique, and an experiment of one.

Me too

The guy at that e-shave store showed me a new lime shave cream that can only be bought there. You may want to check it out.

He mentioned it to me too. I happen to use their White Tea cream, but their limes are next on my list to try

As far as the oil goes, I'm going to try and make some myself when I have the time. That particular e-shave oil you are using is a mixture of almond oil and grapeseed oil (a little lavender in there for added scent).

Oddly enough, looking at the bottle now, the first ingredient is peanut oil followed by almond oil and then Castor oil. Looking at the list as a whole, including what you mentioned, I'd say you have a good shot at coming up with something close to what they have. Let us know how it goes.

Top Bottom