What's new

Schick Injector Type E vs Type G mini identification guide

All right this small guide is for all of those who wondered how to identify a Schick Injector Type E from a Type G on the B/S/Ts, antique shops, eBay, etc....

The injector Type E is usually regarded as the more aggressive shaver and from personal experience performs better than it's Type E cousin with heavy beards.

The injector Type G on the other hand is the perfect candidate for a Featherjector Frankenstein as it is the perfect aggressiveness to be coupled and to counter balance the really aggressive Feather blade. More on that in another guide to follow next week. The Type G is also very cheap to be had and is more readily found than the Type E.

All right, so if we look at both razors from the back one next to the other (bakelite), it is very hard to tell them apart:

proxy.php

Which one is which?

And if we look at front pictures, they would still look nearly identical:

proxy.php

So how to determine which one is which?

While there might several visual cue in reference to the handle colors that were limited to a specific model, but the easiest way to identify one from the other is to look closely at the razor's head.

On the type E, you will find a single patent number: 1806087

On the type G, you will find two patent numbers: 1806087 and 1969945.

These patents numbers are commonly mistaken for serial numbers or date codes. They are not.

Notice that the patent 1969945 is actually the patent for the blade loading mechanism which is the same on both, so I am speculating the reason the second patent number is not found on Type E's is because the patent was pending and not approved yet when the production of these razors started. If you look carefully on the Type E the texts says "others pending", probably referring to the blade loading mechanism patent.

Another common trait identifying the Type E from the Type G is a small seem running at the back of the handle. The Type E do not have any seem on the back of them, and the Type G's do have a vertical seem along the handle.

So here is what you should be looking for:

Type E
proxy.php

A single patent number

Type G
proxy.php

Two patents numbers

On a side note, here is a visual comparison on the aggressiveness of both types:

proxy.php

You can clearly see how much shorter is the blade to skin gap on the Type E (right) vs the Type G (left) thus making this razor more aggressive than it's descendant.

Last edited:
fantastic , thank you for the insight :thumbup1:

I recently fell in love with an E style that I like to use with a feather pro super. I didnt realize it was more aggressive than a G style.

Good post. I now wonder if my type E may be just another G. Thing is, the handle is almost certainly bakelite. Can't go by the patent number, as this one is made in Canada, and just says "patent 1937". The heads are identical, though, when held side by side, which should clinch it. Hadn't realized that the type E head was that different.

Good post. I now wonder if my type E may be just another G. Thing is, the handle is almost certainly bakelite. Can't go by the patent number, as this one is made in Canada, and just says "patent 1937". The heads are identical, though, when held side by side, which should clinch it. Hadn't realized that the type E head was that different.

The G-type handles usually have a seam running down the center of the plastic handle. I don't think there is normally such a difference in the head, but the spring in the G-type in the OP looks a little off.

The G-type handles usually have a seam running down the center of the plastic handle. I don't think there is normally such a difference in the head, but the spring in the G-type in the OP looks a little off.

Yes, my Canadian Schick very definitely does not have the seam, unlike my type G, which is one reason I think the handle is Bakelite. In turn, that's why I have been assuming it's a type E. The reference page I usually go by may not cover every variation. May just have to live with the ambiguity.:001_smile

The G-type handles usually have a seam running down the center of the plastic handle.

Yep, I noticed that too on my Type G and it is absent from my type E. Is that definitely not found on Type Es?

I don't think there is normally such a difference in the head, but the spring in the G-type in the OP looks a little off.

I knew my Type G's spring to be defective (heavily loose), so I made sure before taking the pictures to hard press the spring against the back of the head before taking the picture. I will re-verify.

Last edited:
Yes, my Canadian Schick very definitely does not have the seam, unlike my type G, which is one reason I think the handle is Bakelite. In turn, that's why I have been assuming it's a type E. The reference page I usually go by may not cover every variation. May just have to live with the ambiguity.:001_smile

Is the head geometry exactly the same on both?

I didn't account for the canadian version. Would you mind posting a picture of it? (close up of the head would be appreciated)

Sorry about hijacking this thread but I didn't think that this deserves a whole thread to itself so I looked for the newest injector topic. I'll be quick...

I'm an injector newbie and thanks to c0ry I'm going to be the proud owner of a Type L Schick Injector for the first time. Blades. I'm a little stumped as there's a few that seem very similar. Are these the ones that you guys would recommend?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Schick-Inject...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41360fc8b8

Again sorry Jobol for hijacking your thread. :blush:

Is the head geometry exactly the same on both?

I didn't account for the canadian version. Would you mind posting a picture of it? (close up of the head would be appreciated)

Here we go. The handle on the Canadian Schick (CS from now on) is Bakelite based on the hot water test [Edit, and no seam], so either it's an E type or some G types had Bakelite handles. The G type is US made and has the two patent numbers and the seam on the handle. Side by side, CS on the left, there are some differences in the heads, but they're subtle.

Last edited:
Sorry about hijacking this thread but I didn't think that this deserves a whole thread to itself so I looked for the newest injector topic. I'll be quick...

I'm an injector newbie and thanks to c0ry I'm going to be the proud owner of a Type L Schick Injector for the first time. Blades. I'm a little stumped as there's a few that seem very similar. Are these the ones that you guys would recommend?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Schick-Inject...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41360fc8b8

Again sorry Jobol for hijacking your thread. :blush:

Those are excellent blades. :thumbup1:

Great thread. I just bought a Schick injector off of eBay. I've been assuming that it was a Type E since it didn't have the seam on the handle. But what I actually have is the Canadian version that Slivovitz posted about. I'm also curious to see if anyone can tell us more about it.

Regardless, I'm loving this little razor.

Thank you for posting this guide. I had never realized that the aggressiveness of the Type E was so different from the Type G. I suppose I know what my next razor will be, as I've not yet had an opportunity to shave with a type E.

Top Bottom