What's new

Schick Injector Type E vs Type G mini identification guide

I was sure one of my injectors was E type and the other was G type. I got both off B/S/T's and both were classified as E's. But as was stated in this thread I found info that said if the handle had a seam in it it was a G type. Now after seeing this I'm confused some because my heads look identical and both have the one patent# 1806087 but one is the darker bakelite handled E and I assume the lighter in color and plastic handle with the seam is a G. The only thing I'm sure of is they are great little razors and I enjoy my shaves from them.

I wanted to see if this was still being debated...I have one of the Made In Canada bakelite versions, and it's much more aggressive than my other E's, which aren't exactly mild. It's more aggressive than my slant and pretty much every other thing I've tried.

I'm trying to figure out if this is an isolated fluke or if there's a "super E" among the bakelites you can still find.

I don't have any final answers or hard evidence, but I think that the information in this thread needs to be re-thought at least, and taken with a grain of salt. That includes my own posts, of course.

Based on our usual reference site, one sure sign of a type E would be that the spring has side flaps on it. I'm not talking about the retaining tabs that hold the spring in place, but flaps that make it easier to push on the spring itself. See one of the pictures in the original post. If it has those flaps, then apparently it's a type E3 or earlier. If it's missing them, it could be an E4, E5, or type G.

I have two Schicks with these flaps, I believe an E2 and E3. With blades loaded, the dimensions are not noticeably different from my type Gs.

Two of my Schicks have the made in Canada markings on them. One, pictured earlier, does not have the side flaps, but does have a Bakelite handle. I no longer have an opinion on whether it's an E4 or a G1.

The other Canadian Schick has the side flaps, which would make it a type E, it also has a non-Bakelite plastic handle. You can see what I mean in this SOTD photo.

If the Canadian Schicks are different, could there be other exceptions? Don't know.

As a collector, I'm interested, but I have to say that I don't find much difference in the shave between my E and G types, or between the Canadian and US ones.

P.S. I've been thinking of buying Wait's Compendium. How is it on injectors?

Last edited:
Really nice SOTD, and thanks for all the info (everyone.)

So, I'm not confident enough yet to contribute to the wiki, but these are my G's:
View attachment 115260

I've tried to enhance the photos for detail. Each has 2 patent #s, no flaps, seamed handles except for the 2 lucite handles up top. The one up top far right has a seamed handle but looks and feels just like bakelite.

These are my E's:

View attachment 115261

The Canadian is on the left. Both Americans have a texturized finish. I can't figure out exactly what makes the Canadian so much more aggressive, even looking at blade gap and such. The only thing is that it seems to have less guard.
View attachment 115262
Maybe it's random. I do think the guards on the G's (with parallel grooves) make for a milder shave, but I could be wrong.

BTW, I know I don't need this many Schicks, I'm gonna sell or trade off the surplus.

I got a G a few weeks ago in an eBay lot and finally cleaned it up a couple days ago. Having my first shave with it tonight. I hope the shorter handle is nice because the other 2 injectors I received in a lot (PAL ajustable, Schick Golden "500") have super long handles and just seem weird. Has anyone seen on of these lucite ones? It seems they're not very common. I think they're really pretty. They're a G patent.
proxy.php

I recently got a Shick Injector G and I like it very much.

Based on the information on this thread I went shopping for an E model today. I found one in very good condition in an antique store and paid $25. I little pricey, but I gon't care. 10 years from now, what difference will it have made, whether I paid $25 or $5? I felt fortunate to find an E, as most of the bakelite ones on the market are a G.

I'm looking forward to shaving with it next week and comparing it to the G. I understand the E was made from 1935 to 1945. I was born in 1936, so I find it interesting to be shaving with an item that is about as old as I.

Makes me wonder where did it live when I was a boy, and how many owners has it had?

Well, I shaved with that baby and it was incredible!!! No Gillette comes close! It cuts so smoothly and easily and ---you don't have to use any pressure--. I also had no nicks or irritation. I felt after the first pass that the shave was great/very close and didn't need to go further but to test it out I did 3 passes and then usual clean up (under nose, cheekbones, sides of neck, etc) and it was much easier than before. What I can't understand is that this razor much be much lighter than a Gillette but it shaves SO much better! It's mind-boggling! This was also a G type I was shaving with, and you said it's the less aggressive of the two. This G to me has similar shaving feel as a Red Tip or open comb, you can really feel that blade on your skin and how well it's cutting. It makes you pay more attention. Great razor and they go for super cheap. It's easy to see this razor becoming a personal favorite and getting regular weekly or even daily use.

Very nice text and pictorial on the E versus G. One thing that throws all this out the window is the Canadian version of the EverSharp/Schick injectors.

I had one from Canada and it had the head of a G but the handle of the E. Because it was made in Canada the patent numbers were off too. I posted about the Canadian oddity and none of the experts could ever nail down what model it was. Lots of speculation but no hard facts. Such is the world of razor manufacturing.

Just received an amber-handled G (2 patent numbers).

From looking at pictures I had assumed that the spring would swing to the side to open the head a bit for cleaning (like the HydroMagic). Otherwise, why put the circular track around the rivet?

But now seeing it in the flesh, this doesn't seem to be the case. There is a tang that prevents side to side movement.

Is there a way to swing that spring to the side, or is it permanently in place?

Some folks have managed to swing that spring aside, but others have ruined razors trying it. Proceed at your own risk.

Just got one of those Canadian Type Es.
The box itself reveals that it predates the Gs as it says "magazine repeating razor company, niagara falls", yet it has a plastic handle with a seam.
And yes it is way more aggressive than my FaTip!

Last edited:
Top Bottom