What's new

My shave den smells like cheap aftershave

Because I just got a shipment in of cheap aftershave :w00t:

The initial smell testing:

House of Pinaud:

Eau de Portugal: Nice and citrusy. Pleasant. Doesn't smell too artificial.

Draggon Noir: It's been a while since I tossed my decade-old bottle of Drakkar Noir, but this smells similar. Perhaps not as strong. Labeled as an "Eau de Toilette" (it's not - not 14 ounces for $4.95!) The bottle is the same as the one Osage Rub comes in; it's not in the usual 'large' Pinaud bottles. It's also pink.

Clubman Musk: Some report that this smells exactly like Clubman; I don't think it does. More like a cross between Clubman and Clubman Special Reserve; there is a bit of depth that isn't in the original Clubman. It's also a light shade of pink.

Lime Sec: Strangely, it's not lime colored; it seems to have more blue. Anyway, it has the lime candy notes that others have mentioned, but as many have talked about in both this and the Cologne forum, good luck getting a natural-smelling lime scent that doesn't last 0.01 seconds on your skin. I think I prefer Citrus Musk.

Clubman Complete: Yeah, this is going away, so here's a review to know if you should stock up. Predominate note in the tube is menthol aka Vicks. Menthol lovers, take note! After a few minutes on, you can still smell the "Vicks" over the base, though the base (which does seem to be Clubman) is picking up. I wouldn't expect to use this and smell like Clubman though. Contains caffeine for some reason ("tightens and tones skin!") as well as allantoin, seamollient, and aloe, along with a long list of other things. I think this may have been their attempt at a more premium product line, looking at the packaging.

House of Master:

Since the Master Chemical Company (seriously, this is what is on the label) this is relatively little-known compared to Pinaud... the bottles I ordered (6oz) are square-ish and have a metallic-looking cap (plastic with some metal film on it.) There isn't any 'label' background per se; the Master logo and fragrance information is kind of screen printed onto the bottle. It presents a small challenge reading the name of the bottle from an angle.

Standard ingredients for these aftershaves: SD Alcohol 40, Deionized pure water, Fragrance, some mix of FD&C colors. Some have glycerine; I'll note those.

Topaz: Perhaps the most "old-school"; I detect a vanilla note in the bottle but that doesn't last long on the skin. Turns a bit powdery and old-school. No glycerin. Smells similar to Ivy Club's "Old Spice" clone.

Lord and Master: More spice than Topaz, maybe more of a faint pine note as well. I like this one. Comes with glycerin.

Focus: This one comes on pretty strong. Smells like medicinal pine in the bottle if that makes sense. Smells a bit better on the skin. Very green. Note this one is light on the alcohol (it's the second ingredient, not the first.) It also has panthenol which wikipedia claims is a moisturizer. No glycerin.

Spice: This isn't an Old Spice copy; that'd be Topaz. It's quite nice though, it does have a bit of "spice" to it, and I'd categorize it as "barbershop." Has glycerin.

Challenge: Hello, cedar! And maybe some pine. This may be your ticket for a cheap woody after shave. I like woodsy though. Contains glycerin.

These are obviously quick notes and not evaluations from wearing it for a day. I'll try to work on more comprehensive reviews later.

Thanks! I keep wanting to pull the trigger on a few Masters aftershaves but I just keep putting it off.

I saw a new one listed on the Appleton Barber supply website.. "Champagne" - there was no indication as to what it smells like, and it's not on the Master Wellcomb website:

http://www.krewcomb.com/aftershave.htm

Thanks! I keep wanting to pull the trigger on a few Masters aftershaves but I just keep putting it off.

I saw a new one listed on the Appleton Barber supply website.. "Champagne" - there was no indication as to what it smells like, and it's not on the Master Wellcomb website:

http://www.krewcomb.com/aftershave.htm

I figure it is either new or was recently discontinued. It may be worth calling up Appleton and asking them what it smells like.

I figure 75 ounces of aftershave is going to last me a while :scared:

Top Bottom