What's new

Derbys keep disappointing.

My DE history:

Started when I got my Merkur HD Valentine's Day. It came with a more than adequate Merkur blade. I used it for a week and enjoyed close shaves without any dragging or skipping. I saw many reviews which said there are better blades out there, including Derbys. I ordered 100 for $12 (I know....sampler pack first!), and bought some ASR blades at my local market for the meantime. I had several pretty good shaves with those blades. At a minimum, they cut through my stubble and there was no drag or skipping. When I passed the blade across the stubble, it cut it. Well, my Derbys arrived and I can't get as good a shave with the Derbys. I tried a couple. I corked them. I then decided to use the entire pack of ASRs before trying another Derby.

Tonight I returned to a Derby. What a letdown. One side of the blade left so much stubble behind. The other side was better (sharper? less imperfection?), but it was not a good shave. I'm about to give up on these. What is the issue with these blades???

I'm ordering a sample pack now.

What is the issue with these blades???

You may have been stung by the recent change in Derby's manufacturing processes - though what has changed exactly no one seem to know exactly (different factory? new machines?). The older Derby's are smooth and consistent. The new ones are anything but.

See this thread.

Thanks for the read. I don't have much experience with DE shaving, but I can say that these blades have been abominable. I threw out the blade I used tonight and corked a new one. Masochistic, eh? If I don't get a satisfactory shave tomorrow, the lot of them go in the garbage. I wouldn't give these away!

I had similar problems with Derby's last October.. I have never used them since... I found Red Pack Personna's, and Crystals as best for me... with crystals leading the pack. PM me I'll send you a 10 pack of crystals

Thanks a lot for the offer, but they are included in the sample pack I just ordered. Glad I'm not the only one to experience this....

I've been using the new package Derby's for close to a month without any problems. Send me a pm if you decide to chunk them.

I have as well, I've been getting smooth and consistant shaves with the new Derbys I have. I guess it varies from person to person. :huh:

I think it just varies from person to person. I too found Derby's not to work at all for me. Most of the hair they did actually remove, they pulled out instead of cutting. :mad3: At leas that's what it felt like...

Last edited:
Well, I'll be darned if I didn't get a fine shave with the corked vertical Derby this morning. Guess I'll just chuck the bad ones. I'm looking forward to the sample pack, though!

Always disliked the Derby and the Merkur blades.

My blade preferences are in my signature (includes SE, injector, and DE preferences).
JB
proxy.php

Derby's have received a fair amount of negative press as of late. There is a fair amount of anectodal evidence that a recent change (corrresponding to the change of packaging) to the manufacturing has produced a lower quality blade. Currently, I use the Derby's in the "horizontal" packaging and find they shave quite well. I hadn't a opportunity to try the "newer" Derby's to compare.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've moved on to straight shaving. This thread about Derby's saddens me as I've liked them so much from before whatever hideous thing happened in their manufacturing process. I don't think I will run out of nice Derby's in my lifetime give my move to straights but if I did I would choose Astra's

Never Liked the Derby's one bit, gave them to my dad and he likes them a lot.
It is called YMMV around here. :001_rolle

Derby's have received a fair amount of negative press as of late. There is a fair amount of anectodal evidence that a recent change (corrresponding to the change of packaging) to the manufacturing has produced a lower quality blade. Currently, I use the Derby's in the "horizontal" packaging and find they shave quite well. I hadn't a opportunity to try the "newer" Derby's to compare.

Didn't try the new ones either but maybe I should; I seem to have a liking for blades with a bad reputation overhere at B&B. I really like Merkurs you know! :biggrin:

I just went through the thread asking for your worst blade and I was not so surprised to see the Derbys getting a ton of votes. This thread started sometime in '09. Wish I'd seen it before ordering a lot of them.

I just went through the thread asking for your worst blade and I was not so surprised to see the Derbys getting a ton of votes. This thread started sometime in '09. Wish I'd seen it before ordering a lot of them.

Though interesting and fun to read those threads have little to no value for picking your blades. You have to try them before you know and opinions are no help at all when it comes to finding your perfect blade.

I disliked too many popular blades and liked too many 'horrible' blades to give any credit to blade opinions. Only when I know somebodies preferences a bit they get some value.

Go for the extended sampler pack and then try some more! The only way to get to know your blades is the hard way...

I've found Derbys to be inconsistent. Some are good and some go to the blade bank after the first shave. Shame, because the good ones really are good.

You can get the 100 of the old Derby's - and a free Arko shave soap stick - from Shaving Factory via Amazon for $12.99 + free shipping.

I say "old Derby's" because the picture they have showing the blades is the old packaging. I ordered this and got confirmation from Amazon today that it was shipped today. If they are the new packaging, based on feedback here at B&B, I'll be promptly sending them back.

http://www.amazon.com/Derby-Extra-Stainless-Double-Shaving/dp/B0016KB1CY

derby are a favourite blade in any DE razor (unlike some blades). I have over 100 of the (now so called) 'old' ones. I thought it may be 'myth' that derby had changed and are now consistently nasty blades? Is there any definitive place to inform us on this?

There were Turkish right, where now?

I too struggle to get a consistent shave with the derby. I bought several having read the universal good press they seem to get. Mine are recently aquired and are turkish.
I scored a decent supply of the french blue extra blades supplied in a plastic dispenser. For me these are superior blades which is a shame as I have a feeling the blues's I have are old stock and will be difficult to replace.

Top Bottom