What's new

Respecto #77 str8 - Info??

Hi guys,
Does anyone know much about the #77 Respecto str8 razors? I picked one up from Trey Dampier and like it...It's just that I don't find any info or history about this blade or the brand... Is it a stainless steel, does it have carbon, how much carbon, who made it, is it a good razor, etc, etc, etc?...any dos and don'ts?

The one I have is a lovely 5/8", round point, hollow ground.

Sorry...don't have a pict to share with you other than the one below, which I "stole" from one of Trey's posts (sorry Trey :001_smile)

-Robert

I am glad to see this posted. That one had a twin with a slightly different scale type. I hope someone here knows the history of these since they say silver steel on them. I shaved with its twin the other day and it seemed to be doing fine.

I am glad to see this posted. That one had a twin with a slightly different scale type. I hope someone here knows the history of these since they say silver steel on them. I shaved with its twin the other day and it seemed to be doing fine.

Hi Trey,
I am the one who bought the other twin from you :wink::thumbup1:...Love the blade. Let's see if someone comes up with a history for these twins.

Just out of curiosity, do these take a keen edge honing? Also, do you recommend taping the spine while honing or not? If so, how many tapes?

Best,
-Robert

Does anyone know much about the #77 Respecto str8 razors? I picked one up from Trey Dampier and like it...It's just that I don't find any info or history about this blade or the brand... Is it a stainless steel, does it have carbon, how much carbon, who made it, is it a good razor, etc, etc, etc?...any dos and don'ts?

I don't know anything about this brand, but for the looks of it and the name "Respecto" it seems to be one of many brands Solingen had targeted for Latin America, since "Respecto" is "Respect" in Spanish.

I don't know anything about this brand, but for the looks of it and the name "Respecto" it seems to be one of many brands Solingen had targeted for Latin America, since "Respecto" is "Respect" in Spanish.

Hey Leon,
That is interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be correct :001_smile.

Cheers,
-Robert

Hey Leon,
That is interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be correct :001_smile.

Cheers,
-Robert
The one I have been using took a great edge. They both had some hone wear so I didn't use tape. They behave like many if the German blades I have honed. I'd say dont use tape, it should have been ready to shave when you got it.
I gave gone through several razors since. If you need it honed, shoot me a PM and I'll cover your shipping because I rarely send one not shave ready unless I specify that.
Thanks for sharing, I hope more info pops up.

The one I have been using took a great edge. They both had some hone wear so I didn't use tape. They behave like many if the German blades I have honed. I'd say dont use tape, it should have been ready to shave when you got it.
I gave gone through several razors since. If you need it honed, shoot me a PM and I'll cover your shipping because I rarely send one not shave ready unless I specify that.
Thanks for sharing, I hope more info pops up.

Thanks Trey...it was shave ready when I got it and have been using it regularly. Over the past month or so, it's been getting a bit dull so, I think that I need to learn honing soon and might as well take the plunge on this one :001_smile. In fact I started honing it yesterday...from what I can tell, it feels sharp...HHT passed (somewhat) and doing the TPT and Lynn's pyramid honing (conservative) also indicated a sharp edge...I didn't shave today and will put it to the test (TST) tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

I do appreciate the offer of honing and S/H...but, at some point I need to "come out my diapers" and learn this...this is as good a time as any.

PS: Love the blade though...polishing it really brings out the looks. What do you recommend as far as cleaning between the pins (floss?)?

-Robert

Floss works as well as anything I know. Honing should be fairly straight forward with that blade. Good Luck!

Shaved with it...fantastic. After shave, I performed a TPT on it and compared it to another shave ready Wacker I have...apparently, mine was not as sharp as the wacker, but good and close enough (I would say ~80% there). I need to practice more and see how close I can get to a shave ready. I am still shooting in the dark as to what exactly it is that I am looking for during the honing process, but I am sure that will come in time :001_smile.

I need to get me a practice blade...for honing experiments that is

-Robert

Top Bottom