What's new

Moldy looking tarnish

I recently bought a 1975 Gillette Knack safety razor on Ebay and it has little green spots of tarnish on the bottom, top, and sides. They're not really big but very noticeable. I have read a few methods but I didn't see any that specifically said they were removing the green tarnish. How should I go about getting rid of this tarnish? Scrubbing bubbles, simple green, vinegar boil?

If a replate is in order, do I just take it to a jeweler and have it done? What is a rough estimate of how much this might cost?

I recently bought a 1975 Gillette Knack safety razor on Ebay and it has little green spots of tarnish on the bottom, top, and sides. They're not really big but very noticeable. I have read a few methods but I didn't see any that specifically said they were removing the green tarnish. How should I go about getting rid of this tarnish? Scrubbing bubbles, simple green, vinegar boil?

If a replate is in order, do I just take it to a jeweler and have it done? What is a rough estimate of how much this might cost?

Oddly enough, I usually get that off with a toothpick. But that green tarnish means the plating underneath will be gone--so expect brassy spots afterwards.

Scrubbing Bubbles can be left soaking for a very long time without worry.

It was formulated for cleaning bathroom fixtures so it will not hurt your razor.

Also I've had good luck smearing razors with GOOP hand cleaner then rinse the razor the following day.....

Good luck on the cleanup.......

HOw long should I let it soak? I don't want to ruin this razor doing it wrong.

This is what I did. I took the razor and sprayed it down with scrubbing bubbles then put it in a solo cup and sprayed some more in. I let it sit for about ten minutes then took an old toothbrush and scrubbed it. The green stuff you are talking about comes off fairly easy, but I repeated above about two or three times to make sure I got everything off then gave it an alcohol bath.

Top Bottom