What's new

Tried Personna Blades - OUCH!

Tried my first Personna (Israeli Red) blade the past two days. I don't know if I got a lemon or if they are that harsh, but my face felt like an army of fire ants marched across it. It did not shave as close nor as smooth as a Derby Extra. I also got one nick each day. Prior to this, in one month of DE shaving I have only nicked myself once, and that was on my second day.

Anybody else have a similar experience with these blades?

I have been using Derby Extras. I figured from the reviews it was a good blade to start with and learn technique. I now get a near-BBS with the Derby. My usual routine is three passes, W-X-ATG, relathering in-between passes.

I've got quite a selection of blades. My intent is to try different blades while keeping all other components consistent. I will try a new blade for a few days, return to the Derby to "reset" the control standard, then move on to the next blade.

This approach seems to be the most logical for now, but I am open to suggestions. I also realize that all the variables in wet shaving are very subjective, kind'a like wine and cigars, so everyone's mileage will vary. But I am still interested in the other folks opinions regarding these blades.

OOOPS!

Just realized there is a sub-forum in the razor forum for blades.

However, I didn't see any option to delete this thread or how to move it.

I think you may have gotten a very rare dud. I've used red pack IP's and found them to be a nice smooth blade. Maybe not as sharp as an Astra (but very close), but just as smooth.

I've never had a bad or harsh Red Pack IP...always smooth shaves. It had to be a bad one, which I've never found.

Every Derby I've tried wrecked my face though. I had to toss the remainder of the pack...couldn't use them.

Maybe, JUST maybe, your face just doesn't like that brand. We all have blades that work better or won't work with our individual faces, so maybe you're one of the few who can't use that blade. It's possible, we all respond differently to different blades. I've tried the 7 O'Clock Yellows that everyone here raves about...can't use them. I have had good luck with Walmart Personna blades that lots of people complain about. We're all different.

If I were you, I'd try a few more of those blades or another pack of them to rule out a lemon blade or pack...then move on if they don't work for you. No big deal and no need to keep destroying your face because they work for other people.

I've tried personna red's recently (on my second one) and usually use derby extras and I have found them to be very smooth and possibly marginally sharper then the derbys. I think they might give a slightly closer shave initially however I have noticed that within an hour I have noticable (be touch not by sight) stubble on my chin.

Anyone else seen this phenomena?

I got some Red IP's recently.

I found them to be OK and never had any problem. Certainly not the sharpest blades around but not the worst. For me they were a decent middle-of-the-road blade.

I still have 4 of the 5 blades left so will almost certainly use them again in the future. Right now I have a lot of blades left to try so it may be some time before they come around again.

I dunno about your blades, but I think your method of experimenting is great.

I bought a big box of Dorcos during a clearance sale, and that's all I use now. I've gradually arranged everything else in my routine around them, and I get DFS with them every time. Dorco's a low-prestige brand, but whether it's my face or my razor or my soap, somehow they work on my face . . . good luck with your trials and please report back (either in the blade sub-forum or in the reviews, once you've got enough experience!)

No you're not alone. I bought 100 of these and tried them in razors which I have got good results with using Derby's and Feathers. I'm afraid on all occasions the blade dragged on the first use and was not pleasant at all. I think this is because I have a thick, heavy stubble which I have to shave daily to look presentable. The Personnas went to a good home however so someone else is getting use from them. I think I will stick with Derby's and Feathers.

When I tried Israeli Personnas, I found them to be sharper than Derby's and much smoother. I found Feather blades to be slightly sharper than the Personnas and ended up getting a large supply of Feathers mainly because they were easier to obtain at the time. I have not tried the Astras that so many people seem to like. As always, it can vary from person to person so just keep trying different blades until you find something you like. Good luck!!!

Still working through my sampler pack as I don't DE shave very often(usually use a straight), but so far the red pack personnas are my favorite. I still have feathers to try and I don't have any yellow 7 O'clocks or Astras so I can't comment on those but I'm going to try those eventually as they get some of the most consistent high reviews from what I've seen.

I to struggled with the red personna blade from my sample pack, i have found it the worst blade out of my sample pack, i 'm currently on my 2nd wilkinson so may try the personna again next to see if it was a bad blade or just does'n't suit me.

I used my first Personna blade this morning and it was no worst/no better than the Derby Extras that I have been using the past week. Razor is a Fatboy which I am finding better then my new Merkur 34C but yet to try teh Personna in it.

Red IP's are good blades...not the sharpest and they can drag...but they're usually very mild. you must have gotten a dud. it happens. i went through a bunch of bad derbys a while back.

i started out with red IP's, then went to yellow 7 o'clocks and now i'm using astra plats, which i find an excellent compromise between sharpness and smoothness.

in my EJ DE89, they're simply wonderful

Top Bottom