What's new

Salt Lake City Shaving

Just moved to salt Lake, this thread has me eager to check out some places near me. Thanks for all the info

Anyone have luck with any antique shops around here for old razors and brushes?

Last edited:
Cool thread! Thanks for the bump Dualonymous! Sadly, I'm in the righteous valley (;)), but I make it to SLC every once in a while. I'll let everyone know if I happen upon any stores that sell good shaving products!

I've stumbled on a few places in my travels within the greater Salt Lake area. Ray's Barber Shop carries most Proraso products, as does Jed's Barber Shop. Ray's also carries some Lucky Tiger products and a few different DEs. Tabula Rasa in Trolley Square has a decent selection of products ranging from Musgo, Edwin Jagger, and Crabtree & Evelyn. Tinder Box carries some DEs, Cella tubs, Col. Conk, and a few other products. Last time I was at the Tinder Box, I picked up a business card from a local whom hones and restores straight razors. There's some Indian markets I haven't stopped in, but I'll certainly try and report back.

I'm sure there's more places I've spaced about, but I always try to exhaust my local resources for products I need.

I almost forgot! If you're in Utah County, there's Beehive Grooming & Co. They're a local artisan that makes aftershaves, shaving creams, and beard oil. There's also a local Utah County artisan that turns brush handles. His name is Nathan Clark and I do believe he has an etsy store, SavingShavings. He can turn you darn near what you want!

I am going to try and hit up some shops in slc today after work I'll post my finds. I'm looking for a good first soap to try as my cream is almost gone. Fingers crossed

Well I went to the following stores and will list what I found.

Nordstroms in City Creek
-Jack Black supplies

They carried most of the JB products but had no testers or samples to smell unfortunately.
-Art of Shaving
Very minimal selection only carried some of the creams and some of the oils. the testing creams were so old that the ocean kelp smelled far different than the AoS store sample. and 2 of the creams I could not open because the inside of the container had broken away from the inside and just spun with the lid.

AoS in City Creek
Typical supplies but the employees were quite nice and very helpful. One gent actually suggested if I planned on buying a selection of items that I may be more pleased with the price tomorrow. Apparently some of their kits are 20 percent off in store today. The 25 dollar sample kits also have a coupon for 25 off a fullsize kit, you may be able to stack those deals, I am not sure.

L'occitane in City Creek
Carried their typical Cade line along with a synthetic brush and multi-blade handles. They had 3 employees, upon walking in all 3 came up to me gave me their opinions on why they had better products than Nordstrom, AoS and pretty much everyone else. They informed me that AoS is knows for selling brushes that give users "bad bacteria" and anything that is not synthetic will "evetually infect you with bacteria".The prices on soaps and creams were similar to Tabula Rasa 28 for soap with bowl. The entire time I was in the store they never left my side and picked up every mens product off the shelf and handed it to me to inspect. I don't think I will ever step foot in here again.

Walgreens on 400
They only had one off brand blade types that were 5 blades for 2 dollars. they still carry the Pinaud clubman it was 6.99 for the bottle and only a dollar more than amazon. Other than the typical Nivea shave balms that is about all they had.

Tabula Rasa
I will list the brands from most prevalent to least prevalent throughout the store. Most of the products had testers available to smell and the employees again were very balanced between helpful and checking if any help was needed without being intrusive.
-Edwin Jagger
Several different razors, brushes, stands etc
They carried 3 scents; Sandalwood, Aloe Vera, and a Lime of some sort. all scents came in cream and soap (small puck with no bowl)
-Crabtree & Evelynn
Indian Sandalwood, Moroccan Myrrh, and an Indian Lime I believe. only soaps but they came with wooden bowls. Post shave balms in the same scents were there as well. Prices were slightly above what C&E charge but not bad. 28 for the soap and wooden bowl.
-Scottish Fine Soaps by Classic Male Grooming
they had a shave soap and an aftershave in the same scent. the soap comes in a porcelain tub with a lion on the front. looks nice but you are paying a premium for the container and elaborate display, not sure of the soap quality. &50.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003OQUFXO/&tag=shavroom-21
-Taylor of Old Bond Street
Pre-shave oil was all they had for TOBS. it was locked in a case with razors and 400 dollar Hawaiian brushes.

They also had a few random brands with 1 product each. none of these smelled attractive at all to me and now I cannot remember the specifics. but regardless of price I would not have purchased any of them.

So what did I pick up? Well I have only ever used my 6 dollar VDH boar brush and bowl, along with C.O. Bigelow cream. I decided to get a starter kit for AoS to try out their products, I went with sandalwood. I grabbed a puck of EJ Aloe Vera soap from TR. and a bottle of Pinaud from Walgreens. I am excited to try all these products and it only cost me about 40 bucks.

Maybe next weekend I will try to hit all the antique shops for vintage razors ( might even make a run today).

Last edited:
Probably not going to make it to the Antique stores but I did go and get a hair cut at Jeds Barber Shop on 7th east and 2nd south. They have a hefty stock of Proraso red, blue and green in shaving cream, soap, and aftershave. I only checked price on the shaving cream and it was 10.95 IIRC. They had a small selection of razors and accessories, mostly Parker. Finally, they have their own brand of aftershaves, mustache clay, beard lube and other facial hair products.

BladeHQ in Lehi Has TOBS soaps and supplies as well as a large selection of straights. They are not on the shelves of the B&M store but they are in the back. Just ask them and they will bring them up. I took my wife and daughter so they could smell and pick their own shaving soap. Look online at bladehq.com. Search shaving.

There is a place in Orem called the Mini Moustachery. It carries barrister and Mann, Stirling, basically everything from razor blades to brushes and stands.

Top Bottom