What's new

Efferdent denture cleaner?

Would efferdent denture cleaner clean the scaling and gunk out of a vintage safety razor? I have a couple, ok 4 :blushing:, razors coming this week and was wondering if anyone has thought of, or tried using Efferdent to eat away at the gunk and buildup?
Would it eat the plating or lacquer?
Just wondering if anyone has any experience.
Cheers.

I have a 5-step cleaning process:

1) maybe a dozen 3 minute cycles in the ultrasonic cleaner (using water w. a couple drops of dish soap)
2) Overnight soak in simple green
3) Using a toothbrush (dipped periodically in simple green), scrub the thing well, all over
4) Shoot the whole razor in scrubbing bubbles, let sit (in the foam) for 3-5 minutes, then scrub with toothbrush, rinse well.
5) Maas as needed.

Hope it helps,
-- Chet

Yep, that's pretty much my routine as well, minus the ultrasonic cleaner.
Still wondering if Efferdent would work in lieu of the ultrasonic cleaner, or as its own step?

Yep, that's pretty much my routine as well, minus the ultrasonic cleaner.
Still wondering if Efferdent would work in lieu of the ultrasonic cleaner, or as its own step?

As someone who owns a partial, because my Ex knocked out two of my teeth, I would say I don't see how it could hurt. I use denture tablets on my teeth as well as my CamelBak reservoirs when they start to smell. The tabs that keep the partial lined up in my jaw are stainless steel, and in 4+ years, it hasn't done anything to them, nor has it etched the surface of the partial. I would say take the razor you have the least hope for, and try it out.

I've used them to clean porcelain but was warned off using them with anything with gilding so plate loss might be an issue

ok, I'm going to give it a whirl. I have a brass Gem 1912 coming in the mail which I'll try it on. I'll report back with my findings. :thumbup1:

I use two tablets along with some rubbing alcohol and a cap full of CLR overnight then finish up with a boiling rinse. Usually works very well. I have cleaned up a half dozen used DE & SE razors using this method.
Mike

Top Bottom