What's new

Guide to American Button Company Pocket Edition Sets: Part One - Razors

Hello!
It is my first post here at B&B!
I'm a brazilian vintage wet shave addicted and recently got my second ABC pocket at a on-line auction for a very cheap price!
Here is my baby :001_wub:
$ABC Pocket.jpg

And the other one is a Imperial ABC Pocket that a got either at a on-line acution. Unfurtunatly the photos were not good and I realized that it has the four outer teeth bent :thumbdown Two of them are completely bent and touching the teeth next to they... The handle and the top cap are fine.. Does anyone have ever tried to straigth some ABC Gillette Pocket teeth?

Welcome! And congrats!

I have, after annealing the bottom plate, but if they are bent that bad they will break off because there is probably a crack already started.

Leave them alone, bent teeth are better than missing teeth!

[MENTION=79408]nuclearblast[/MENTION] [MENTION=89729]TobyC[/MENTION]

Thank you all guys!
So tonight will be the first shave with Imperial!

R

romsitsa

Hello gentlemen,

I try to collect data, please share your knowledge if possible.
Could you give me date codes of milled ABC pocket combs and the style of case the razor came with (latch type opening or push to open case)
I think ABC pocket razors were switched from stamped combs to milled combs (and from latch to push to open cases) around 1911, but I could only find a handful of datecodes, to few to make a sample.

Or if the date is already known, please share it, I couldn't find anything.

Stamped comb:

attachment.php

Milled comb (this one is British, but the milling is the same as on US ones):
proxy.php

Both pictures from badger&blade

Thanks

Adam

R

romsitsa

Hello, maybe I wasn't clear enough. Under stamped/milled I mean how the handle attaches to the baseplate, not the finish of the combs.
Base plate upper side recessed lower side has a flat protruding circle: stamped
Base plate upper side smooth lower side has a recessed circle: milled

Adam

I picked up my second ABC razor last weekend at a Flea Market. It's a silver, or was a silver shell with a thin handle. I posted it on the Acquisition thread with my other one. Some questions were brought up about the teeth on my first one, so I thought I would post some pictures here to see if anyone has any answers. My first one is also a silver shell, I believe it is a 500 set, it came in a basket weave case. It appeared to have been unused or used very little when I found it also at a Flea Market a few months back. The one in question is on the left in the first picture. I also noticed that the handle is a little different than the ones posted at the beginning of this thread.

$2016-08-13 16.31.03.jpg

$2016-08-13 16.24.00.jpg

$2016-08-13 16.25.01.jpg

$2016-08-13 16.26.21.jpg

$2016-08-13 16.27.19.jpg

R

romsitsa

Hello Gents,

can't post any any pictures right now, but it looks like there were "transitional" ABC sets.
I stumbled upon one that has a 1909 date code, rounded teeth and a Gillette diamond on the lower side of the combed plate without the made in USA inscription.

Adam

Hello gentlemen,

I try to collect data, please share your knowledge if possible.
Could you give me date codes of milled ABC pocket combs and the style of case the razor came with (latch type opening or push to open case)
I think ABC pocket razors were switched from stamped combs to milled combs (and from latch to push to open cases) around 1911, but I could only find a handful of datecodes, to few to make a sample.

Or if the date is already known, please share it, I couldn't find anything.

Stamped comb:

attachment.php

Milled comb (this one is British, but the milling is the same as on US ones):
proxy.php

Both pictures from badger&blade

Thanks

Adam
Hello Adam, I have had numerous ABC sets in the past, and still own a few now. As near as I can tell, the 1909, and very early 1910 ABC sets contained the stamped baseplate with the wide, rounded teeth. It seems to me that I only saw one example of a stamped baseplate later than 1910. I believe it was a 1912. All of the early stamped baseplates were in the latch type cases. The 1912 that I saw was in a push button case. I hope this input helps. Good luck and God bless.

Some questions were brought up about the teeth on my first one, so I thought I would post some pictures here to see if anyone has any answers.

View attachment 680993

I've had a couple of these come through my hands and have both versions. The first example I owned had the rounded teeth, which were also shorter, as is yours. The blade stuck out past the teeth.

Top Bottom