What's new

Guide to American Button Company Pocket Edition Sets: Part One - Razors

What was the last year that ABC made these?

I'm not sure that I've ever heard a confirmed last year of production for these sets. I've heard that around WWI (1914ish) is probably about the last time they were made. Perhaps Len can chime in with some more information on that.

I'm not sure that I've ever heard a confirmed last year of production for these sets. I've heard that around WWI (1914ish) is probably about the last time they were made. Perhaps Len can chime in with some more information on that.

I don't know if anyone really knows when ABC stopped producing razors. I have 13 examples with the latest one dated at 1911. Mr Razor has one at 1912 and another at 1918. I question the 1918 date. The serial number is stamped on the bottom of the guard and if I magnify the image it looks like it could be a C instead of a G prefix. I'd like Achim to verify it. Krumholz states that ABC stopped at some point prior to WWI. I think the only way we can get a more accurate date is for anyone on B&B who has an ABC to give us the serial number if after 1912. Of course that has to assume the guard was not changed out to a later version.

Len

My experience is the same as Len's. The ABC razors are excellent shavers and like other old type razors, they do not require the use of any sort of washer or shim. The weight and balance of the handle combined with the thin and nimble head make for a superb shave.

Amen.
No shims needed on any Old Type that I have ever used.
Stick a blade in and go.
Wp

I'm still really enjoying these ABC threads - thanks, guys.

of my 9 ABCs, only 3 have rounded (and uniform teeth).

One of the razors - a silver double ring shell in a silver basket weave case has rounded/uniform teeth - and an oddity - on the back of the comb (what do you call these parts? combs? blade shelves?) is the arrow-through-the-diamond Gillette trademark. Has anyone else seen this on an ABC?

And... a last "oddity" - I have a shell case that was formerly gunmetal - previous owners removed pretty much all of the gunmetal (paint, I assume) leaving some on the edges and in the whorls of the shell pattern. I guess those owners figured the case was badly tarnished silver............

Incidentally, I think I'm not quite through with my razor collecting... I sure would like a one of these in the gold scroll... Len's looks just great.

And... a last "oddity" - I have a shell case that was formerly gunmetal - previous owners removed pretty much all of the gunmetal (paint, I assume) leaving some on the edges and in the whorls of the shell pattern. I guess those owners figured the case was badly tarnished silver............

Jon, I have a gunmetal plain case where the owner (or seller) thought the case was tarnished silver as well. About a third of the top has most of the finish polished off. I guess they saw the error of their ways and just stopped. Too bad.

Len

We have gone from this:
proxy.php

proxy.php

To this:

proxy.php

proxy.php

How pathetic we have become.

Great thread. This involves 2 great loves of mine, vintage razors and history! :thumbup1: Thank you.

I think I may have another oddball that I just got in the mail. I have a plain gold case and a thin machined handle & a ball on the bottom. Nothing ornate at all, just a smooth ball. I'll have to get some good pics of it up after I get home. Its definitely a strange one. No 'Gillette' anywhere on the head, C5?106 for a serial #, but the 'C' is almost invisible with a 'p' almost covering it up. Any ideas without pics for now?

Definitely post some pictures, but it sounds like a regular Gillette made old type pocket edition, which is different than an ABC set.

That definitely worked. Can you also upload a photo of the inside of the case and the razor itself? The case looks like an ABC case.

Brian, there's only one piece of felt with no metal backing inside. I plan on trying to fab up some metal just like it would've been made. The handle is what has me scratching my head though. I've seen one like it somewhere, but I don't recall anything about it.

It looks like a Canadian made old type pocket edition razor. The smooth ball end and thinner handle are both characteristic of these sets. But I've never seen one of those come in an ABC case. It is possible that they were mismatched. Perhaps Len or Achim or someone else can chime in if they know anything more.

p.s. the photo of the case disappeared. Can you upload that again? It may help others in identifying the set.

I have something very similar only with a different end on the handle. It has a hex bolt design on the end. I am working on getting some pics together. The handle is solid and and the case is just like eyeguy's.

It's a plain ABC case in gold, not too common. The silver plain case is more common. The razor is a Canadian Old Type ball end. Quite a few Canadian razors are different from those made in the US but it is not an ABC match for this case. The case is from a N500B set.

Len

Last edited:
I have something very similar only with a different end on the handle. It has a hex bolt design on the end. I am working on getting some pics together. The handle is solid and and the case is just like eyeguy's.

I don't recall ever seeing a Gillette razor with a hex end handle. Your photos should be interesting.

Len

It's a plain ABC case in gold, not too common. The silver plain case is more common. The razor is a Canadian Old Type ball end. Quite a few Canadian razors are different from those made in the US but it is not an ABC match for this case. The case is from a N500B set.

Len

Thanks for the info Len. I was pretty doubtful that the two belonged together, but thought it looked like a good deal. I'll probably make a template & re-do the interior. I hate that its not all original, but I'm sure the appropriate handle will pop up one day.

Thanks for the info Len. I was pretty doubtful that the two belonged together, but thought it looked like a good deal. I'll probably make a template & re-do the interior. I hate that its not all original, but I'm sure the appropriate handle will pop up one day.

Actually the razor and the case separately are fine pieces. A gold ABC razor should go with the case but it can be any of the various designs as these sets were sold mixed and matched The most common would be the fluted Shell design. The razor by itself is also not that common. I think you got a very good deal that I would have been happy to get.

Len

Top Bottom