What's new

Modern DE blades tv ad, can you beleive?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The gillette slide :eek:

nobody escapes it... :lol:

Interesting commercial for several reasons...notice how the dialog uses English words here and there (is this because Hindi has no words for certain concepts?). Also, the actors are very pale - Indian culture usually associates higher social class with paler skin.

I would have expected Gillette to target young, middle & upper class Indian guys with their cartridge products.

Interesting commercial for several reasons...notice how the dialog uses English words here and there (is this because Hindi has no words for certain concepts?). Also, the actors are very pale - Indian culture usually associates higher social class with paler skin.

I would have expected Gillette to target young, middle & upper class Indian guys with their cartridge products.
That mean DE shaving is for high class people:thumbup1:

You've never watched a Bollywood movie have you ??? :biggrin1:

I can not help but wonder if the guy really shaves with a DE in real life, I do not know about you but I do not hold my razor at a 90 degree angle when I shave. Apart from that, I agree this commercial makes a great change from the crappy fusion adds.

I can not help but wonder if the guy really shaves with a DE in real life, I do not know about you but I do not hold my razor at a 90 degree angle when I shave. Apart from that, I agree this commercial makes a great change from the crappy fusion adds.

I agree. As soon as he started shaving I thought "his razor angle is completely wrong. No way that's actually shaving his face."

Was cool to see though.

I doubt it's because Hindi does not have the proper words. I live in Israel now, and it's quite common to hear English in commercials as well as English slang or expressions in daily speech. It is due to globalization, and the influence of American TV, radio, and movies. When you throw in some American slang or expressions, it lends a certain "credibility" to your product. It sounds weird, I know, but I have seen this phenomenon in Central and South America, and I am fluent in the Spanish language as well. Adopting American cultural themes adds panache to products, as crazy as that may seem.

I doubt it's because Hindi does not have the proper words. I live in Israel now, and it's quite common to hear English in commercials as well as English slang or expressions in daily speech. It is due to globalization, and the influence of American TV, radio, and movies. When you throw in some American slang or expressions, it lends a certain "credibility" to your product. It sounds weird, I know, but I have seen this phenomenon in Central and South America, and I am fluent in the Spanish language as well. Adopting American cultural themes adds panache to products, as crazy as that may seem.

Not to de-rail the OP, but transliteration always cracks me up. I remember reading Cyrillic signs in Moscow and Hebrew signs in Tel Aviv and sounding like an idiot... "com...pu...ter...."

Based on the average household income in India, I would imagine Gillette wouldn't be marketing their $3-4 blades in that market and they definitely aren't going to sell their blades in India for 50c each. It makes sense that they are marketing their less expensive alternative; Fortunately for Indian males, the inexpensive alternative gives the better shave... a cool commercial:thumbup1:

Not to de-rail the OP, but transliteration always cracks me up. I remember reading Cyrillic signs in Moscow and Hebrew signs in Tel Aviv and sounding like an idiot... "com...pu...ter...."

It is funny as hell. I still laugh out loud at signs that say: "minimarket" written in Hebrew and the like. Some of the misspellings are absolutely hilarious. SWMBO still gets a confused look on her face when I burst out laughing for no apparent reason. Since she is Israeli, she doesn't understand why I think its funny, and even when I explain why, she still doesn't get it, which of course, increases the absurdity of it. I must admit I have had some great fun at the expense of Israelis who mangle English, although sometimes, it works the other way when I mangle Hebrew.

While you guys are critiquing the actors razor angle, I'm checking out the actress. Indian women are hot! :w00t:

:thumbup:
proxy.php

Top Bottom