What's new

1930s Gillette OPEN COMB NEW STYLE Gold Safety Razor

I found one of these in my late father's shaving gear a few years ago, along with a '69 Gillette Black Beauty adjustable. Long story short: last weekend, while looking for replacement cartridges for my Mach3, I decided I no longer wanted any part of their overpriced product and decided to look into classic shaving.

At this point, I've shaved with the Beauty three times; each shave has been better than the previous, thankfully. I haven't shaved with this '30s New, yet. I soaked it in some Oxy Clean and hot water for half an hour today and got it looking nice. I plan to give it a go in the next couple days when I get some stubble worthy of the honor. I figured I needed to start my DE shaving experience with the adjustable before going after this bad boy. Looking forward to the experience. Sadly, I bought a ten pack of Rite Aide blades to see if DE shaving was for me, so I think things are just going to get better as I settle on a good blade and try some different soaps.
Nice. This story deserves a thread of its own in the Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In forum.

My '30s New has become my go-to. Compared to the '69 adjustable, it's night and day. I love the short handle and the solid feel of this razor. It's provided some great shaves so far.

Picked this up from Delta Echo. The "old" "New" is 80 years old and it's awesome.
$image.jpg

Last edited:
Just got my New Long Comb yesterday, polished and sanitized it today and had my first shave, using an Astra SP. It was an amazing, 2-pass BBS shave that was the most comfortable I've had since I started wet shaving 14 months ago. It is now my favorite razor. I also own a 1969 Tech, a 1956 Red Tip, a 1969 Black Beauty 109, Edwin Jagger, PAA Bakelite Slant, Razorock German 37, Ming Shi 2000s and a Weishi 9306 F. The New is as mild as the EJ but much more efficient. I can hardly believe it!

Top Bottom