What's new

I didn't start wet-shaving with a DE to save money.

I shave for the ritual, the warm water on my skin, the smell of the soap, the sound of the cut, and the cool burn of the aftershave. This is my zen.

Besides, no one gets style points for using a Mach 3 and foaming gel.

I don't know. I just like it better.

Why do you prefer the old school?

Using a DE is pretty much all I have used since I started shaving. I tried the multi-blade throw aways, but they were too expensive and hurt too much. I used an electric razor for travelling, but never referred to shaving as "wet-shaving" or "DE shaving", it's just shaving! Pure and simple. KISS

I love the look of a DE razor and brush in my bathroom and there´s nothing like the feeling and smell of lathering a brush on your face in the morning. That pretty much sums it up for me.

I did start to save money, and that was the only reason as I had always looked at the ritual of shaving as a nuisance.

However, 1 good razor, 1 good soap, 1 decent brush, a quality aftershave and a few shaves to figure out what I was doing and I was hooked.

Then I realized how much I now enjoyed the ritual, the scents, feelings and sounds, and the "ME" time, treating myself to something that feels good.

Now, the money (I was SUPPOSED to save) doesn't mean squat to me.

I started in order to save money, and that's how I was able to sell the idea to SWMBO so she wouldn't ask me why I was spending so much money on one razor.

I started to get a good, irritation free shave - price be damned. Seriously, if cartridges would have not plagued my neck with ingrowns I wouldn't be here.

I went back to DE/SE/straight shaving for the pleasure. I had forgotten.... what a simple pleasure it was to shave. I also do it for the link to the past... I was shaving with my Gramps 105 yr old straight the other day... a smell of wet leaves came thru the window and I was immediately transported to the farm and watching Grampa shave on a moist summer morning. had to stop the shave and restart before I cut my throat. The memories that something as simple as a shave can evoke are astounding

I too shave at night. Aside from the ritual, and the ME time as stated, I can slowly shave and contemplate life, etc., and not have to shave in the morning. My Sensor3 doesn't allow me to do that. And a man needs hobbies; why not his face? (And all the fun of trying new brushes/razors/cream and soap scents...)

With me, it was something I discovered while looking for an Internet source for low cost generic cartridges for my Atra. Cost was partially a factor, as it did seem it would be cheaper than going to a Fusion, Quattro, or something like that. It wasn't clear that it would save anything over the low cost cartridges I was using, though. I also liked the idea of using an "old" technology which might turn out to be better than the latest and greatest.

DE led to SE and Injectors, which are now my favorites. I still get a kick out of the fact that I'm using something which most people consider obsolete, and which works better than their modern methods. I like all the vintage razors cluttering up the bathroom, along with the soaps and brushes.

I learned to lather with soap and brush just a bit before I first picked up a DE, and I still do that if I take a shave here and there with a cartridge razor. The wetshaving routine doesn't have to be restricted to old style razors. I'm amazed that I shaved for some 35 years without realizing that there was an alternative to canned creams.

I shave for the ritual, the warm water on my skin, the smell of the soap, the sound of the cut, and the cool burn of the aftershave. This is my zen.

Besides, no one gets style points for using a Mach 3 and foaming gel.

I don't know. I just like it better.

Why do you prefer the old school?

I started because of the cost of multiple blade cartridges but when I got into it everything you put so well kicked in.

The shaves are much better, and there are a lot of options to customize the shave to the face to get the best possible results.

The products just smell so much better too. All the goos just seem to have the same general smell to them, that weird chemical sort of cologne scent.

I came to this board looking for cheaper methods of shaving. I was using a Family Dollar branded cartridge razor at that point, and a Fusion as well.

A kind member PIFed me a Gillette Tech VDH Deluxe, and Derby Blades, and I bought a VDH starter kit.

As shaving became more of a joy, I also started to have more disposable income, so the cheapest method of shaving became less of an issue, and having fun shaving became more important.

Now I shave for pleasure, and for the challenge of conquering a new tool (I am presently teaching myself to use a straight). :thumbup1:

I came back to DE to stop throwing away so much plastic and to get back to the basics; the way my dad taught me. I had also forgotten what it was like to shave with a DE, and wanted to experience it again.

I was not concerned about the cost and I have learned to enjoy the time I spend shaving as a planning and contemplating time. Spend some daily review time helps the day flow better. Sometimes when I work from home, I’ll take my lunch break and shave then. It’s a mid-day rejuvenation to help the day go forward.

The more comfortable shave is just a side affect. :biggrin:

I wonder how many of us sold the "cost savings" of DE shaving to our significant others. Although I told my wife this, I am sure my SCAD and RAD have more than offset any savings. The simple truth is that wet-shaving has allowed me to take something that used to be a chore and turned it into the most enjoyable part of my morning. (or at least the second most enjoyable on a really good morning- which can be helped along by a BBS and the smell of a quality SC).

I wonder how many of us sold the "cost savings" of DE shaving to our significant others. Although I told my wife this, I am sure my SCAD and RAD have more than offset any savings. The simple truth is that wet-shaving has allowed me to take something that used to be a chore and turned it into the most enjoyable part of my morning. (or at least the second most enjoyable on a really good morning- which can be helped along by a BBS and the smell of a quality SC).

+100:thumbup1:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I didn't do it for the money either... I did it when I saw an ad in the cinema's toilet that was listing all the ingredients in shaving goo vs. shaving oil. I thought, let's try that, search here, search there, those razors are supposed to be better (oil was clogging the mach 3), tried one, and bam!

Top Bottom