What's new

Open Comb - Merkur and Muhle

Hi all. Does anyone know if the head of the Merkur 12c (barberpole), apart from the two piece design, is the same as the heads on the 3-piece Merkur classic open comb and/or the Muhle R41?

The Mühle R41 (new model) has a 3-piece Merkur head (but so much better finished) like on the 15/25C and the 1904. The 2-piece heads are similar in design, but like you said, the comb part is fixed on the handle. Due to the way they produce or because of their QC even two identical Merkurs can shave differently but they should all be alike in geometry.

IIRC, Mühle discontinued the open comb R41. I picked one up a couple of months ago and it is a fine shaver. If you're interested, you should hunt down one of the remaining stock before they're all gone.

IIRC, Mühle discontinued the open comb R41. I picked one up a couple of months ago and it is a fine shaver. If you're interested, you should hunt down one of the remaining stock before they're all gone.

Are you sure? It is available from Muhle's own website: https://www.muehle-shaving.com/shop/b2b/accessories/travel/1/safety_razor/21/72/R_41

And I know of a dealer that just got some from Muhle, no mention of discontinued from him, and no shortage of stock on the stores I know that have it in the catalogue. :)

I thought it was discontinued too a couple of months ago since it wasn't on their website anymore. I considered buying a spare one right away but it was just temporarily out of stock.

Are you sure? It is available from Muhle's own website: https://www.muehle-shaving.com/shop/b2b/accessories/travel/1/safety_razor/21/72/R_41

And I know of a dealer that just got some from Muhle, no mention of discontinued from him, and no shortage of stock on the stores I know that have it in the catalogue. :)

I also have been looking for it on the Muhle site.
Could not find it, but after an e-mail inquiry learned it is still there.

:confused1:confused1:confused1

Your URL send me to a travel / proraso page
:confused1:confused1:confused1

Strange, maybe some glitches in the site as they redesign to show of their new design-ish razors.

I also asked whether these would be discontinued (I then should have to buy the remaining stock and / or the machinery :tongue_sm).

Got an e-mail reply stating no such intention.

So it seems the wonderful R41 will be available as before.
Good news!

In part the problem is the category they choose to put the DE's in, it is not intuitive at all.

Accessories > Straight + DE Razors.....

Accessories? Makes no sense! In the old website whey where under Classic > Razors, If I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom