What's new

Earliest Production Date Code For "Fat Boy"???

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
In my very short time with RAD, I thought 1959 was the first year that the Gillette Adjustable known by consumers as the "Fat Boy" was produced. Since recently purchasing a 1958 "Fat Boy" Date Code D-4 I realized, along with some comments found here that 1958 was indeed the first year of production and it is possible it was limited and may not have started in the first quarter of 1958. Well today I located a D-3 which makes IT the oldest current "Fat Boy" I own. Do any forum members own or know someone who owns a D-1 "Fat Boy" or did they exist? What is the earliest documented "Fat Boy" Production Date Code?

You may have just caught yours self a unicorn there sir! Proof that it does exist...ok, whose going to stumble across a D-2 now?

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I still want to find out if anyone has a Date Code "Fat Boy" Gillette from D-1...add to that a POTENTIAL "B" Date Code "Fat Boy"...
With Credit to Phillip L. Krumholz , Author "The Complete Gillette Collector's Handbook" Copyright 1992 Self Published.

The Gillette Adjustable
They were big. They were heavy. They were like the cars of the era. When you hold a 1958 Gillette Adjustable in your hand, you know you hold a piece of machinery. This was the era of Ike, properity, and self indulgance. There was a pink flamingo or silver ball on pedestal in every yard, a drive in restaurant in every town, and Rock-N-Roll was here to stay.

The $1.95 Gillette Adjustable ( **my words...NOW The whole 195 thing makes sense**) had test marketed in 1956, saw REGIONAL introduction in 1958, and NATIONAL introduction in 1959.

**My words.... So, now I know that the two I have were during the Regional Introduction.***

I'd love to see a B-1 "Fat Boy"

Top Bottom