What's new

So...Whats for breakfast?

For your consideration-
French bread french toast.

proxy.php

Thanks Chris!

Now that looks delicious! French toast was one of my favorites growing up, but doing it with French bread takes it to a whole new level.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Years ago, a friend recommended that I add a splash of Grand Marnier to the egg/cream batter, and I haven't looked back. :thumbup1:

Your version looks great.

ouch

One of my favorite versions of French toast is from Junior's in downtown Brooklyn. Their very low tech but effective secret is dredging the battered bread in crushed corn flakes, of all things. Served with a basket of mini pastries (and followed, or course, by an obligatory slice of cheesecake), it's one of my favorite breakfasts.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Golden Goodness. Pain dore as it is called in Quebec. Perfect time of year . . . the sugar shacks are only open for the next week or so where I am. Nothing like going to the Cabin a sucre for a big lunch of thick sliced ham, baked beans, and pancakes.

The french bread looks fantastic. I like to make french toast from brioche- really buttery and decadent.

Nice. Personally I am a Challah man for french toast. Dry it out in the oven a bit before battering it and you get a wicked custardy interior.

Jim, I'm sitting here reading the new posts and then I see this!!

I wasn't hungry until I saw that photo, I have nothing in the house to make french toast with and now I am hungry ... This is somewhat cruel :lol:
Sue

ouch

These threads and pictures are killing me.

Tomorrow I'm making french toast with pastrami for breakfast!

Fabulous, Jim! Looks great. I really enjoy all the variations on French Toast. I make a baked french toast like Ouch was talking about with a corn flake or crisped rice dredge and pure vanilla (or Gran Marnier). Works very well on all types of bread. It comes out crisp and chewy and hits the spot!

French toast is something that can be done a lot of different ways. You can add sugar, vanilla, liquor, cinnamon, or other things to the batter, and use different breads. Top it off with anything from syrups to fruit toppings, to plain powdered sugar like I had it in London.

One variation that I had last year in Washington D.C. was pumpkin french toast. Very Yummy!

D

deekdat86

One portion: 2 eggs, scant tablespoon of sour cream, fresh cracked pepper - wisk until frothy. Add pinch of fresh taragon, fresh chives (both finely cut/snipped) and a touch of Kosher salt. Quick whisk. Pat of unsalted butter into a medium hot pan. When foaming subsides, pour in eggs. Rinse bowl. Return to pan and using your favorite implement of destruction, start at the edge of the pan and drag the setting eggs to the center. Do this a couple of times in different places, allowing the runny eggs to fill in the open spots. Sprinkle with your favorite cheese. Give it another couple of drags and shakes then toss eggs and turn off heat. I like them just set, still moist. Serve with a sliced bananna, thick sliced bacon and a warmed croissant. Wash down with your favorite java.:biggrin1:

I like them with peppers, onions, and a dish or two of hot sauce. I can't make to save my life but my wife loves to cook it. I either end up burning it or it's too dry or wet.

Equal parts cheese and eggs and a splash of milk. Okay maybe not equal parts but a bunch of cheese at the kids request. After they are done they are best in a wheat tortilla with a ton of hot sauce.
Just about the same here, but I use a little bit of Dukes Mayo instead of milk. If I have some pulled pork left over I will add that. And yes, overcooking is the worst thing you can do to it. The tortilla sounds good, I will try it.
I use farm fresh eggs too, makes all the difference in the world.

Last edited:
Top Bottom