What's new

Protein Shake Issues

I'm not much of a breakfast eater, so I started drinking a protein shake every morning before work instead. I feel like I get a boost without all the cooking, cleaning etc. The shake I'm drinking is a homemade one from a store bought powder. I purchased a vanilla protein powder from the health food section of the grocery where I work.

My issue is that ever since I started these (about 3 days ago), I have had several BM's every day. Usually 2-3 within a few hours of drinking the shake. I use 2-3 Ts of the powder in whole milk.

Anyone else:
A) Use a protein shake as a meal replacement.
B) Have any issues with frequent BM's as a result

Does anyone know of any unknown risks that I'm subjecting myself to here? I'm about to do a bit of Googling on the matter, but I'm hoping for some trusted firsthand experience.

what goes in to the shake besides the protein powder ? Also what kind of protein is it?

Last edited:
It's a whey powder. The regular mix is 3 Tb of powder and about 8-9 oz of milk. Today I added a packet of stevia and 2 drops of pure vanilla to help the taste. Nothing weird.

Sounds like you might be digesting it fairly fast so once it becomes "waste" it needs to come out. Whey protein digests and gets absorbed fairly quick. Try some muscle milk its got whey and casein along with lean lipids and fiber.

Wow, getting personal here!

I noticed that same thing when I started drinking them on a regular basis, but it seems to have gone away and I didn't notice any lasting digestion issues.

It could just be an adjustment-period for your body...it's likely not used to all of the protein and nutrients.

Do you use milk or water? If milk, the lactose may be more to blame than the protein supplement. I use milk.

I would just give it some time to see if it corrects itself, unless you are in pain from the "effects".

Sounds like you might be digesting it fairly fast so once it becomes "waste" it needs to come out. Whey protein digests and gets absorbed fairly quick. Try some muscle milk its got whey and casein along with lean lipids and fiber.

Actually Muscle Milk was the exact protein I saw the same thing as the OP with.

I don't think it's anything to worry about, or anything permanent.

Peole that have good dietary habits should have a few bowel movements a day. Having more bowel movements wont kill you. If your diet includes more liquidy foods such as the shake, you will have more frequent bowel movements, and most likely will be more liquidy. I used to do the same thing years ago. I dont see any thing wrong with the ingredients, unless you happened to be lactose intolerant, but I doubt thats the case.

dont worry about muscle milk. since youre mixing your whey with milk (which contains casein) you will be fine. Try blending it with a banana or maybe some powdered oats for some carbs. try a true meal replacement shake instead so you get a well rounded "meal"

That sounds like a very unhealthy breakfast. It's not that hard to toast a bagel and grab a banana or an orange - and even that's pretty skimpy for your a.m nutritional needs.

Powdered protein is fine as a MRP as long as you don't have pre-existing kidney's condition. The glutamine to glucose conversion and the various amino acids breakdown done by that same organ stresses it to some extent, but there is very little evidence to suggest short or long term damage.

I would recommend you buy the best quality/price ratio protein out there which is the Optimum Nutrion 100% Whey Gold standard. It is a blend of Isolate and Concentrate protein with the former being dominant.

If you still continue to have gastric issues you can move to other type of proteins like a pure Whey Isolate or even soy, rice, etc..

Btw, I am a bodybuilder and have been taking at least 5x shakes of protein per day for at least 10 years now with absolutely no side effects.

Does anyone know of any unknown risks that I'm subjecting myself to here? I'm about to do a bit of Googling on the matter, but I'm hoping for some trusted firsthand experience.
Pretty typical of liquid meals/diets, hate to say it. Talk to hardcore bodybuilders and they will say the same thing.

Honestly, your best option is real food. And that is firsthand experience. I use to do them when gaining mass. I don't bother anymore.

Last edited:
Btw, I am a bodybuilder and have been taking at least 5x shakes of protein per day for at least 10 years now with absolutely no side effects.

image.php

^ Looks like you're doing too much cardio. :biggrin1:

I think you're missing the point of breakfast.
You need protein, carbs and fat to get you through the day. Specifically some Dietary Fiber. What everyone has been saying about Whey is correct, it digests within an hour 30. If you want to keep mixing at home I recommend a 20% Whey 80% Casein blend for breakfast. The milk should have enough fat in it (with 1 or 2% anyway.)

For the carbs and fiber, there are powders, but it can get tricky with the flavors when you're doing protein+. I'd just grab an english muffin on my way out. They're pretty stacked.

I usually have a myoplex protien shake for breakfast. I like the taste. It has a fair amount of protien and carbs.

I have found it holds me for several hours until I have my mid-morning snack/meal.

Top Bottom