What's new

Shavemyface.com

I've attempted to join up with the Shavemyface forum and never got a reply from the manager(s) over there, but I have tried to re-apply and I'm told that my screen name is already taken, which was accepted the first time, I think.

Does anyone know how to contact the powers that be over there so I can get my membership approved? Thanks!

I've attempted to join up with the Shavemyface forum and never got a reply from the manager(s) over there, but I have tried to re-apply and I'm told that my screen name is already taken, which was accepted the first time, I think.

Does anyone know how to contact the powers that be over there so I can get my membership approved? Thanks!

You've probably been banned already...:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Patrick, you are already registered at SMF. Are you having trouble logging in? Did you forget your PW?

Maybe I did Austin, but I don't think so. I never got a reply from registration saying I was a member and can't log in.

I had the same problem there AND here. Nick took care of me quickly here and I never pursued the issue there because I just don't like the forum. I don't like the way the software works (can't open thread pages in a new window/tab) and I think it's irritating the way they make such a big deal of signing off each post with your name. It says your name right there at the top of the reply, who the hell do you think wrote it?
That's ok, this forum is the cats meow anyway.

I think it's irritating the way they make such a big deal of signing off each post with your name. It says your name right there at the top of the reply, who the hell do you think wrote it?
That's ok, this forum is the cats meow anyway.

It's not that they don'y know who posted. This is an attempt to get you to sign off with your real first name instead of your username. The theory is that it promotes a more friendly exchange.

It's not that they don'y know who posted. This is an attempt to get you to sign off with your real first name instead of your username. The theory is that it promotes a more friendly exchange.

Yeah, I figured as much. It's just irritating to read a bunch of posts nagging the subject. I would think that if someone was really interested in using their real name, they would have just registered with it. Also, it's just one more thing you have to type every single time you post. You know, the reason the screen-name is at the top of the reply in the first place.
I don't know. It's not really "that" big of a deal. The issue of not being able to use tabbed browsing is the BIG killer for me (well, that and the lack of a contact email to figure out why I never got my confirmation link). If I right-click on a thread and select "open link in new window/tab" it will do it, but it also advances the root page as well. Kind of defeats the purpose of tabbing in the first place. I usually like to go to a category and open the different threads, while still leaving the root category alone so I can return quickly and read the next one. Not a biggie though, I still read there occasionally.

Rhett121

You can put your sig in the Sig line so- no typing!:thumbup1:

A few months back I figured I'd save myself the effort and just add it to my sig line instead of typing it out after each post. It worked fine and dandy except over a thousand of my old posts all had "-Nick" printed twice on them. :crazy:

-Nick (still signing it old school)

Yeah, I figured as much. It's just irritating to read a bunch of posts nagging the subject. I would think that if someone was really interested in using their real name, they would have just registered with it. Also, it's just one more thing you have to type every single time you post. You know, the reason the screen-name is at the top of the reply in the first place.
I don't know. It's not really "that" big of a deal. The issue of not being able to use tabbed browsing is the BIG killer for me (well, that and the lack of a contact email to figure out why I never got my confirmation link). If I right-click on a thread and select "open link in new window/tab" it will do it, but it also advances the root page as well. Kind of defeats the purpose of tabbing in the first place. I usually like to go to a category and open the different threads, while still leaving the root category alone so I can return quickly and read the next one. Not a biggie though, I still read there occasionally.

I have no idea what any of that means but it sounded good.:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

jmhAZ,

Sorry, I'm not trying to take a stab at Shavemyface.com. I'm sure it's a fine site and it's members are probably all fine folks. It's just not quite as nice as B&B in my opinion. I tried to register there and never got the email to confirm my account, which also happened here but I emailed support and Nick took care of it promptly, (apparently Hotmail really sucks) but the Forum software at SMF isn't conducive to MY reading habits, and this forum really kicks ***, so I never pursued it.

Personally, I like it when folks sign off with their name. Replying with "Rhett121" is no big deal, but when the user name is "NewbieShaving72859362dsskd745", it's a pain in the ***. I also wish everyone would put their location, even it is just the country. Too many folks ask where to buy products, but we have no idea where they are located. Signing off with your name and listing your locations DOES make for a friendlier environ. And I consider it the gentlemanly thing to do. Unless, of course, you are a woman.

Randy

I also wish everyone would put their location, even it is just the country. Too many folks ask where to buy products, but we have no idea where they are located. Signing off with your name and listing your locations DOES make for a friendlier environ.
Randy

I like names, and my user name is very close to my real name. Personally, I don't like listing a location, and think everyone would be safer if they thought about what personal information they were sharing in an online site. I know the location is no big deal, but if a determined person wanted to net-stalk you, that person could put together quite a comprehensive picture if they were determined enough. That said, it's only common sense to provide a location if you ask a question about brick and mortar stores that are available to you.

The birthday thing bothers me, and it is a bigger deal. Birth date is used as a security/ID question for MANY phone interactions. I'll confess that I routinely lie about my birthday for net forums-- even those that have a silent birthday option-- as the forum admins do not have any reason to know my birthday.

Edit:
Scott (oops!)

ive never had a problem with tabbed browsing at Sahvemyface.

i use firefox, i just ricght click and select open in new tab

Everyone should use firefox IMHO its safer and more functional than IE

I like names, and my user name is very close to my real name. Personally, I don't like listing a location, and think everyone would be safer if they thought about what personal information they were sharing in an online site. I know the location is no big deal, but if a determined person wanted to net-stalk you, that person could put together quite a comprehensive picture if they were determined enough. That said, it's only common sense to provide a location if you ask a question about brick and mortar stores that are available to you.

The birthday thing bothers me, and it is a bigger deal. Birth date is used as a security/ID question for MANY phone interactions. I'll confess that I routinely lie about my birthday for net forums-- even those that have a silent birthday option-- as the forum admins do not have any reason to know my birthday.

Edit:
Scott (oops!)

There's some information I don't volunteer often, but there's quite a few Nicks in California, so I don't mind giving my general location.

The reason I have for needing to know your birthday is so I can be in compliance with The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (the planned server migration to Liechtenstein has been put on hold for the time being). I guess more specifically, it's the reason why the software needs to know your birthday. If you choose to lie about your birthdate, I can't stop you, but if you're under 13, I at least have a record of it and can't be held responsible. Frankly, your birthday (or anyone else's) is of zero importance to me.

Besides, I've already maxed out all my credit cards with the name "Scott" on them. :001_tt2:

-Nick

There's some information I don't volunteer often, but there's quite a few Nicks in California, so I don't mind giving my general location.

The reason I have for needing to know your birthday is so I can be in compliance with The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (the planned server migration to Liechtenstein has been put on hold for the time being). I guess more specifically, it's the reason why the software needs to know your birthday.

-Nick

Wow-- live and learn. Might tell people that, or perhaps the vBulletin folks should add it to the faq. In terms of site management, while I of course trust you, you should probably have a privacy statement.

Top Bottom