What's new

Masculine Cologne

I'm looking for a really solid masculine scent with woody overtones that isn't too formal and powdery. I've gone through the whole Creed line with testers and none of them do it for me. Do you have any suggestions? I've ordered some testers of Blenheim Bouquet and things I like, but I am used to Safari and want a change. Any suggestions? I am a younger guy too, and I want to avoid smelling like a 78 year old M.P.. Thanks

I'm liking Floris Santal so far. It's fairly woody to my uneducated nose. And I'm 27 going on 28 soon, so I'm not so big on the "old man" smelling stuff, either.

Mike

Tough call. I'd suggest contacting the various perfume houses and requesting samples (Trumper, T&H, Floris, Penhaligons, etc...). If you live near a L'Occitane store, they have fantastic scents as well (they don't do samples in the mail). There is a thread here where people listed their top 5 colognes - that is a good place to start as well.

Good luck -
Dennis

I like John Varvatos, described by Amazon.com as "a refined, modern classic fragrance for men with combines woody oriental notes, tamarind tree leaves, medjool date fruit, Meditteranean herbs, corriander seed templar, clary sage flower, Indian ajowan, auramber and black leather."

Thanks guys. Will they give you sample vials at L'Occitane stores? I noticed there is one in Philly.

Safari is very good--I wore that one several years ago and really enjoyed it. I'd say try Aramis Devin. You won't smell it on everyone else and it fits your criteria. Good luck.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Also, I'd suggest Dunhill Man ... it's maybe not 'woodsy' but certainly masculine ... get a tester & see if it's your cup of tea.

I get a lot of positive comments from women on these slightly younger scents, much more so than my traditional manly ones. So many, in fact, I have started wearing more of these contemporary type scents. Most are described by Basenotes.com as having a "woody" component. If you haven't tried these just know some of them are quite different, so don't let your initial reaction to them keep you from getting the reactions of others.

1) Cologne (Mugler)
2) Apparition Homme (Ungaro)
3) Corduroy (Zirh)
4) A*men (Mugler) - be careful with this one, spray very, very lightly...I personally have a hard time understanding this one but, man, I get a lot of "Yummy!!!" comments from the girls so I keep wearing it.

Nordstrom is usually very good about giving out samples.

My recommendation would be "Escada PH". You can find this almost anywhere at a very good price. I've often gotten many compliments from this cologne.

+1 on the Escada. Visited the frag counter at Nordstrom's two days ago and stumbled on the Escada. I was testing for a spring/summer frag and to see what's new. The woman at the counter said that Escada was her favorite manly/sexy fragrance. Escada is not spring/summer, it's manly/sexy. John Varvatos was high on her list also.

I went away with a headache with all those sample test strips hanging out of my nose. :wacko:

Im only 26 and been in the same boat. Try Creed's Santal (I know you said you went through em but this one grew on me and women love it) the B&B cologne is GREAT. AOS sandalwood is nice and C&E Nomad. I really like Aramis Havana (and Tuscanny) but gf says it's an old man scent.

Top Bottom