What's new

Gave it a try

With all the posts about restorations I figured why not give it a try. Was this brush worth the effort? I don't know but for what it cost ( essentially nothing) I figured why not give it a try since I had nothing to lose. I do think that it would have been much easier for me to simply make a new one instead of the work that went into this. Removing the old knot took all of maybe a minute. Cleaning out the old glue and prepping the hole maybe another 5 minutes with the tool I made. But the sanding priming painting etc. ate up enough time for me to just turn another one. Then again, even though the brush did have the "Sterilized" logo etc but was essentially gone from wear ,, it wouldn't have mattered that much.
I haven't decided on the exact knot that I'll be putting in this piece as I have ordered several for other brushes I'm restoring as well as making. I've also ordered Bone, Ivory, a Butterscotch as well as other synthetics to make handles. I also have a decent collection of woods that I'll be making other pieces with as well. I have more ideas for brushes than I think I have time for.
Anyway, here it is. The original had a sealer ( or the white paint) that yellowed quite a bit. As I sanded it I found the true color under the sealer. Though you can't quite see it in the finished photo there is a quite stunning pearl finish to the white. Under the original blue was a deep royal blue with a pearl finish as well. I was able to match these finishes pretty accurately. I did like the yellowish of the original white..which I could have matched as well.. but decided to go with the cleaner white pearl over a almond base.
It was fun.

Thank you guys.
I've restored some of the synthetics which weren't much of a challenge. Being a full time woodworker I thought this might be more interesting with the paint to deal with as well as the wood base .Although the photo doesn't show the true colors and pearl effects of the piece I'm pretty happy with how it came out. Another piece to add to the collection/rotation. Now off to making my own creations.

Last edited:
Top Bottom