What's new

Fellow Gentlemen I Need Your Help!

I hope this isn't in any way out of line, if so, please let me know and I will remove this thread.

I recently made my first classifieds purchase. I purchased a Gillette Slim Adjustable from Dex (Stubblefield). Dex was a pleasure to deal with and has been nothing but kind to me, however something outside of his control has caused a problem. The razor was mailed to me, the mailman delivered it, but placed the box in the entranceway of my apartment building under the mailboxes since it did not fit in my mailbox. I came home after checking tracking, expecting my razor to be there, but when I got there it was gone. I spoke directly with my mail carrier the next morning and he confirmed that he had delivered it, I also had two of my neighbors (who are both very trustworthy) tell me that they did in fact see the box in the entranceway with my name on it.

Anyway, my razor has been stolen, plain and simple. So, I am calling around to all of the pawn shops and antique stores in my area to have them keep an eye out for anyone trying to sell this razor as these aren't a normal find around here (neither are DE's or straights in general at that). I know many of you take a look on the 'bay for razors at least once a day. So here's what I'm asking, if any of you happen to be on the 'bay and have an extra moment, keep an eye out for any Gillette Slim Adjustable razors that are listed near Rock Island, Illinois 61201 USA. Some surrounding cities include: Milan, IL., Davenport, IA., Moline, IL., East Moline, IL., and Silvis IL. Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this and anyone who keeps an eye out for me.

Again I want to emphasize that this is in no way meant to reflect on Dex's reputation and it was in no way at all his fault. In fact when Dex heard what had happened he offered to send me a super speed for free, but as I feel that he should not have to take a loss in any way to try and make up for something someone else did that was totally out of his control I told him I could not take it from him for free.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Dex is a stand-up guy despite his predisposition for hackneyed singers.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Hope it all works out for the best for you.

Wow, that really sucks! I'll be on the lookout for it for sure. The Postal Service is still aggressive when it comes to theft aren't they? I hope you/we can catch the *** that took it & hope the Postmaster nails this guy to the wall after you get done with him!! Best of luck to you sir.

Is there a pic just in case it happens to show up? I already found one from the Chicago area. Hate to point fingers without a comparison pic.

Wow, that really sucks! I'll be on the lookout for it for sure. The Postal Service is still aggressive when it comes to theft aren't they? I hope you/we can catch the *** that took it & hope the Postmaster nails this guy to the wall after you get done with him!! Best of luck to you sir. Is there a pic just in case it happens to show up? I already found one from the Chicago area. Hate to point fingers without a comparison pic.

Well when I spoke to the post office they didn't seem to care much; they didn't even offer to let me open a claim or anything. So I got on the USPS website and emailed them about the whole situation and told them how the local post office didn't seem to care. I think though that it's mostly because I have a cheap landlord that has left the same tiny old knuckle buster apartment mailboxes that have been around forever (this building still has DE blade slots built into the bathroom mirrors/medicine cabinets so yeah it hasn't been updated in quite a while) and they have no other option other than to leave stuff on the shelf under the mailboxes or hold them at the post office. The thing that's hard to believe is that I received a bubble mailer with soap/AS samples from Colonel Conk not long ago, but the mailman rolled it up and jammed it down into the mailbox resulting in broken glass from the AS vials all over my mailbox. I was pretty seriously ticked so I took it all down to the post office and showed them all the broken glass. They told me that they couldn't do anything about it. They then suggested that I sign a letter giving my carrier permission to leave things on the shelf outside my mailbox that do not fit properly inside my mailbox, which I found kind of unnecessary since this is what he usually does anyway, but I did what they said. Coincidentally the next package I had delivered to me magically disappeared. So now they have to hold everything that is not a regular mail item at the post office for me to pick up because I refuse to pay for a P.O. box and I told them they need to do something about all the problems I've been having with damaged/missing items.

As for the pictures, here's a link to Dex's classified ad that has plenty of pictures and a description. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=145351
Anyway though I highly doubt that whoever stole it actually knows what it is other than the fact that it's an old safety razor, so I've just been searching ebay for safety razors near my area.

Sorry to hear about the lack of competence with your mail carriers. I have several Slims, and would be happy to PIF you one. Fire me a PM with a secure place to ship and Ill send you one.

My friend, not moments ago I was writing a post about how silly the number of razors I have is and I don't use even half of them. I have a number of Slim adjustables and I would like to send you one free of any obligation. I use a Slim myself when not using a Straight and I would like for you to have one as well. Heck I have received so much from other members and the site in general it's the least I can do. please PM me your address and I will send it to you (signature required:w00t:)

Whoops while I was typing my fellow Albertan beat me to it! Are you new to wet shaving? If so still PM me and I will dream up something else to send just for fun!

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the support guys!

Shave him with a friggin' epilady.
Nah, we'll just force him to give away any shaving stuff he owns and leave him with one of those little battery powered eyebrow trimmers. Could you imagine how much of a pain it would be to shave your face with one of those? I think it would take hours!

Quick Update:

Well, I called a couple antique stores yesterday, they said they'd keep an eye out for it. I also called a local pawn shop and the owner was very insightful and helpful. He told me to first file a police report because if I do that and it turns up in a pawn shop I'll get it back for free. He then told me to wait a couple of days before calling around to the pawn shops because if they all know that it's stolen they'll just turn the person away and won't buy it, then I won't have any chance of getting it back. :thumbup:

I guess I'm very lucky to live where I do. my mail arrives afe and sound and there is never a drama when it can't be left as I can call into the office on my way home from work.
I think as they made you sign a disclaimer you can kiss any claim goodbye, you gave them permission to leave it out in plain sight.
Could you ask your landlord to provide a drop box? He alone could have the key and the mail man could just leave a card stating parcel in drop box see landlord for it?

Glad the guys here could hook you up too. Well done fellas.

Whilst were on the subject someone stole my Bugatti Veyron whilst I was in the shops! :lol:

Last August I ordered a Russian Pilot's watch from Russia2all.com. They shipped the watch to my office with a tracking number. Unfortunately, somehow, the watch was delivered to the federal courthouse about 3 blocks away. It was even signed for. The guy who signed for it said he signs for hundreds of packages a day, and doesn't remember this one. Since it was not registered or insured, the post office doesn't really care. Needless to say the watch never turned up, despite numerous calls to the post office and the courthouse. Fortunately, Russia2all graciously replaced the watch when they received their next shipment, which was just last month.

If possible, it is best to have an item shipped to an office where you work, using UPS or FedEx.

Is your building entrance open or secured? If it's secured it is likely one of your neighbours, or a worker....

Hope you find it mate :D

Tom

I had a package disappear a couple days ago. I try to avoid the USPS at all costs at this point. UPS is just much easier to deal with. That, and they're open after 5.

Is your building entrance open or secured? If it's secured it is likely one of your neighbours, or a worker....

Hope you find it mate :D

Tom

This is kind of odd how they did this. Our door buzzer system runs through our mailboxes, so the mailboxes are in the first entryway which is unlocked and the shelf that they left it on is in that entryway (cool thing about them too is that they are ran to old wall phones within the apartments with a button on them that unlocks the second door). Then, there is a second entryway you have to go through to get to the apartments which is locked. Why they didn't just put the mailboxes within that second entry and the buzzers in the first I don't know.

Someone mentioned a parcel box as well in case it was neighbors stealing, but the problem is my landlord owns multiple properties and lives about a half hours drive from our building, so she doesn't spend much time there. She's also really lazy about resolving those kinds of issues so it would probably take a week or two to get her to come out and open the box up.

My solution was to make the post office hold my package (and like it :lol:) so that I have to come pick it up in person.

I will PIF you my '96 Grand Caravan if you come pick it up?! It's not the best shave but you know exactly what you're getting...PM me if interested!

:lol:

I'd offer up my '92 Ford Mustang LX (fox body; looks more like a Topaz than a Mustang, I call her the Rustang) because I thought it was on its last leg, but I keep driving it and it won't stop running. I'm frankensteining together another car right now in preparation for the Rustang's funeral, but it's starting to look like the wheels are going to fall off before the engine stops :lol:

More than I can say for my last car...it was a Corsica, for some reason that year Chevy thought it would be a good idea to give it a steel block and aluminum head. Needless to say I managed to blow two heads on the darn thing, this lead to further issues and eventually threw a rod, but I kept it sitting at a friends place for a few years...I later on found a car, same year, make, model, color but it was a sixer instead of a four banger and it was made later that year when they stopped using aluminum heads. It was rear-ended, otherwise no problems. So now it has the back end of the old Corsica brazed onto it, just waiting for the MIG welder to come in where I'm working on it and maybe a couple pieces of angle iron to replace the stubs that looked a little rusted.

Top Bottom