What's new

First Pass with Straight closer than DE?

Have been shaving with a straight for about 3 weeks now and am really getting the hang of this. I shaved with a DE first for about a year and think I have noticed that a single FIRST WTG pass with a straight will take off more hair and is therefore closer than the corressponding FIRST pass of a DE. Am I right?

Thanks

Depends with an experienced user and a keen edge yup a straight easily beats a de razor, i nearly managed a bbs the other day but i tend to use full hollows so i have a much steeper learning curve as they're less forgiving than a big chopper like a wade butcher.

Last edited:
I agree - I really don't think I could get by with a one pass DE shave, but a one pass straight shave is attainable with a sharp blade and a little practice.

As a newbie to straights, I'd say "yes" (as long as it's on a patch where I'm getting my technique JUST right!:lol:).

Have been shaving with a straight for about 3 weeks now and am really getting the hang of this. I shaved with a DE first for about a year and think I have noticed that a single FIRST WTG pass with a straight will take off more hair and is therefore closer than the corressponding FIRST pass of a DE. Am I right?

Thanks

That's been my experience as well..

+1
From the very first straight shave I noticed better results than with a good DE with a good blade.

Yes, you are.

I've been shaving with a straight for 8 months and I've never been able to get as close with a straight as I can with a DE, even with multiple passes.

I've been shaving with a straight for 8 months and I've never been able to get as close with a straight as I can with a DE, even with multiple passes.

You may want to get your razor honed.

I typically only do one pass with a straight. So, yeah, one pass is as good as if not much better than a DE.

Top Bottom