What's new

Rooney _/1 vs Rooney _/2 vs Shavemac custom

I'm still new to wetshaving. I think my Parker silvertip brush is OK, but it does seem floppy to me. I'd like something more dense and with more backbone, but still have soft tips. I'm leaning toward a Rooney or a Shavemac. Any suggestions. I'm particularly interested in comparison also of the 1 vs 2 size of the Rooney lines.

Thanks.

Either a Rooney or custom Shavemac would be nice. If getting a custom Shavemac you probably want to get it with a shorter loft to prevent any floppiness in the brush. As far as Rooney's go, I Rooney 1/1, 1/2, 2/1 or 3/1 in Super would be an excellent choice that will meet your criteria.

Stick within a loft of no more than 50mm and you should get a reasonably firm brush. 22mm knot is a good all round size suitable for face lathering. If you fancy a more luxurious feel go for a 23/24mm. The 24mm is the Rooney medium/size 2.

Both Rooney and Shavemac make excellent brushes. I have both a Rooney 3/1 in Super Silvertip and a Shavemac custom D01. I like them both, but the Rooney is a much better bargain. The Rooney 3/1 in Super will cost you $75. The Shavemac in D01 will cost you over $130 (including shipping), and the price goes up as you increase the knot size. If cost is a factor, I would suggest the Rooney Super size 1.

I would go with a Rooney in Super.
Style 1 has a shorter loft, so it will be a bit scrubbier, but I prefer the handle on the Style 3.

About size, I much prefer Size1. I tried a Size 2 Rooney and really didn't like it. I think their lofts are very long, and with the larger knot overall I found it just a too-big brush to manage. YMMV though.

I had a Rooney 1/1 in Finest and I thought I had the ultimate brush until I tried the 1/2 in Super. Now I have a 1/2 in Finest. For me, it's the ultimate brush.
Go for a 1/2 in Super and you won't be disappointed.

Top Bottom