What's new

Traveling with a DE Razor

Has anyone experienced any problems carrying a DE razor and blades through airport security? I know TSA lists safety razors as a permitted carry-on item, but I am skeptical about the screening agents interpretation of the regulations.

I am only taking one carry-on bag and so checked luggage is not an option. Otherwise, I will have to use my Mach 3--talk about hating yourself in the morning!

Thank you,

kc

I have only travelled once since starting to use a DE razor, but I didn't have any issues. However, right in my clear plastic ziploc bag with all my toiletries, I included a printout of the TSA site that said Safety razors were permitted in carry-on luggage...just in case:smile:

I have only travelled once since starting to use a DE razor, but I didn't have any issues. However, right in my clear plastic ziploc bag with all my toiletries, I included a printout of the TSA site that said Safety razors were permitted in carry-on luggage...just in case:smile:

Last time I flew (January) they took my blades away and let me keep my razor. I did the carry-on thing. If you check your bags I don't believe this is an issue.:taz:

I travel quite alot and your best bet is to either check your luggage if you want your DE along for the ride otherwise take your M3 along.

I travel with a DE quite a lot, and (like everything else with the TSA), and it seems like it's about a 50/50 chance whether or not they confiscate the blades. It all depends on the airport, the screener, the phase of the moon, etc., etc., etc. :001_smile After the whole "gels and liquids" thing a few months ago they are paying a lot more attention to any toiletries in your carry-on.

Personally, after having the following confiscated in the last few months...

Swedish Gilettes
Feathers
Proraso
Musgo
Nivea ASB

...I think I'm going to pick up a Sensor for my carry on! I have not had any TSA trouble with the QED sticks, though of course that can change at any time! However, I am pleased to report that the $4.00 Walgreens/CVS/Walmart DE blades that I pick up so I can shave after my fancy blades have been siezed seem to work all right in a pinch...

Of course, this all affects carry on people only - if you're checking your stuff, go crazy! :001_smile

Or you could just do what I have done. REFUSE to fly anymore!

I'll drive coast to coast now because I am SO sick of all the ridiculousness this mass hysteria has caused. There isn't ANY consistency anywhere. I flew into San Diego with a Zippo in my pocket. When I went to board on my way home they said I couldn't bring it with me! I asked how the HELL they thought I got it there in the first place?
I also had a titanium camping fork confiscated from my carry-on bag once, only to have a STEEL KNIFE AND FORK handed to me with my meal. I was furious!

It's all a big joke now. Let's see just how ridiculous we can get.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin 1759

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin 1759

+35,000,000,000 and rising.

Had the exact same issue with a Zippo and the airlines before I quit smoking. Watched the guy in the seat next to me get off and pull out a bic lighter and a freakin' pocketknife as we deplaned at our layover. :cursing:

Love the BF quote by the way. Had a t-shirt with the same quote - it got me into a lot of arguments.

I'll drive coast to coast now because I am SO sick of all the ridiculousness this mass hysteria has caused. There isn't ANY consistency anywhere. I flew into San Diego with a Zippo in my pocket. When I went to board on my way home they said I couldn't bring it with me! I asked how the HELL they thought I got it there in the first place?
I also had a titanium camping fork confiscated from my carry-on bag once, only to have a STEEL KNIFE AND FORK handed to me with my meal. I was furious!

I agree, all air travel is just a time machine. You go to vegas, no cigar lighter, no cigat cutter (except for a plastic ***), no pocket knife, no razors air travel just sucks. Next thing, no drinkin in airports or on the plane.

The sad state of affairs is that you're more likely to be in a traffic accident than die because of terrorists.

They should either ease up on some of these restrictions, or just start arresting everyone who looks like a terrorist (which would be a huge number of perfectly innocent people). Anything in between doesn't do anything but cause a lot of fuss and trouble with no results.

At the end of the day, terrorists don't look like me -- even the home grown type. So stop making me take my darn shoes off and let me bring as many liquids as I want.

That being said, what's the best shave stick to have in one's travel bag?

No offense, but why are people trying to bring razor blades, creams, etc..... in your carry on? You deserve to lose anything they take from you....:frown:

How quick we all forget.

No offense, but why are people trying to bring razor blades, creams, etc..... in your carry on? You deserve to lose anything they take from you....:frown:

How quick we all forget.

I think there's a pretty big difference between a double edge razor blade, which is rather hard to use on its own and a box cutter. One has a very legitimate purpose when travelling, the other is much more questionable with regards to its travel value.

Look, ANYTHING can be used as a weapon. Pencils, pens, keys, one of those small wine bottles -- all can cause serious injuries. The point is that you eliminate the items that you'd never have any reason to need as a carry-on item.

I am with you one this one, I absolutely refuse to fly whenever I can avoid it by any means. With the current rate of decline into TSA insanity it is only a matter of time until you will have to relinquish your clothes at the terminal and fly in a TSA approved jumpsuit and slippers. The problem is that TSA is a feelgood effort, there is very little real security involved in most of the processes involved. I have flown through a lot of countries with much better security and far fewer inconveniences.

How quick we all forget.

Forget?

Give me the name of one firefighter or police officer who died when the WTC collapsed. Do it now, without Googling it.

Most Americans cannot. Name a serviceman who gave his life in Iraq or Afghanistan, even as recently as last week. Most Americans cannot.

Now watch when people don't pull their cars over to the side of the road as the ambulance or the fire truck rolls by. Watch how few people honor true sacrifice. Who actually gave a moment of silence on September 11th? Who paused to reflect on the sacrifices of ALL our veterans on November 11th?

Now tell me that they're doing something to protect my farkin' liberty by taking away bic freakin lighters, lipstick and razor blades on a freakin airplane.

It's crap. You know it's crap, and I know it's crap, and what's worse is the government knows it's crap. There are people who are really dying, who have really died defending the freedoms we take for granted every freaking day, and we ignore or even worse, belittle them. And then we sit complacently by and let our government steal these very freedoms out from underneath us in the name of safety? I say that spits on their sacrifice, Sir. I call that infamy. And to salve our collective conscience by giving us the TSA and Patriots I and II in place of Liberty and dignity is purest crap. And the worst and most unkind? My very patriotism and love of country is called into question - because I question my government.

I have forgotten nothing.

/rant

Then there are the reports on here of guys who Fed Ex their favourite blades ahead of them to the hotel.

I'm lucky in that one of the drugstore blades I can live with if need be.

The other problem is the increasing number of reports of things being stolen from even checked-in luggage. So then you have to decide which DE you could live without if Johnny Stickyfingers decides it looks cool or pawnable.

The other problem is the increasing number of reports of things being stolen from even checked-in luggage. So then you have to decide which DE you could live without if Johnny Stickyfingers decides it looks cool or pawnable.

I think if the airline baggage people are reduced to stealing old safety razors out of people's luggage, then we're in worse shape than I thought! :tongue_sm

What I don't get is why a tube of Proraso (or toothpaste, for that matter, happend to me as well) with ONE squirt left is confiscated by the TSA now, just because the tube held > 3oz at one point! Totally nonsensical, as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, I have a nice metal eShave handle that fits a Sensor blade (so at least I won't be shaving like some sort of barbarian with a plastic drugstore razor :smile:) and again I haven't had any TSA problems with the QED sticks the last couple of times in the "no gels and liquids"-era (knock on wood)... I fly 2-3 times a month for work, and I GOTS to look good! :smile:

If you can't bear the inconvenience of using common sense while packing then suffer the loss of 30¢ blades. And don't get too melodramatic when everyone else refuses to cry with you.

I travel a lot. I'm generally in Europe at least one week per month. And since I've started this wetshaving madness I've also started checking a bag just so I don't have to worry about not having the blades I want when I travel.

If you can't bear the inconvenience of using common sense while packing then suffer the loss of 30¢ blades. And don't get too melodramatic when everyone else refuses to cry with you.

Common sense breaking out would be a wonderful thing.

So would not missing the actual point.

It's not about the inconvenience of losing a packet of blades, or a tube of shave cream, or a bottle of after shave balm, or a safety razor, or an heirloom Zippo.

It's about putting band-aids on internal hemorrhages. It's about building better locks for bigger barn doors after the horses have not only gotten out, but been shot and turned into dog food. It's about the politics of lies and distraction while we forget, ignore, minimize, distort, or completely obfuscate what really happened six years ago. It's about "Keepin up the skeer" as Nathan Bedford Forrest used to call it.

But what's really sad is the way we just take all of this for granted. Just one more part of life in modern America. Just like the death of civility and gentility.

And let's not have anyone say anything about it, no sir. God forbid we should cry over a little inconvenience like the loss of civility. Or liberty.

But perhaps this is not the place to discuss such things. After all - it is a shaving forum. And we are not all Americans. So forgive me for waxing political - I'll get off my soapbox and back into my soap now.

Top Bottom