What's new

ok guys come and cast your votes...paddle or hanging?

Paddle or hanging

• Paddle

• Hanging

Results are only viewable after voting.
Its that simple!!
Just wondering what you gentlemen prefer....using a paddle or hanging strop?
No need to write a paragraph why, not interested in what pastes you use, just plain and simple final leather stropping before shave...on a paddle or hanging??

I like a hanging because unless you spend an obscene amount of money you won't get a paddle 24" long. I do however recommend a paddle for beginners because I think they are less likely to roll an edge with it.

Both, hanging for general stropping for ease of use and feel, paddle for pastes gives better control, less risk of rolling the edge.

Last edited:
I like a hanging strop because it doesn't need any counter space. It hangs behind the door and doesn't get in the way. I suppose you could hang a paddle too but it would be awkward. You could hold a small one in your hand but then you'd have to strop a lot more.

Never learned to use a paddle. Never needed one. Closest I came was a balsa pasted and I only used it about a dozen times. Hanging strops for me.

looks like the hanging strop is tearing ahead with votes......anyone like to balance the argument and give paddles a fighting chance??

A different tool for different occasions. I use a hanging for normal everyday use but a paddle for traveling and a bench strop for pastes.

looks like the hanging strop is tearing ahead with votes......anyone like to balance the argument and give paddles a fighting chance??

Nope. For daily use you want a nice long piece of leather. Too much work to use a paddle strop for daily use because they are generaly too short, because made for a different purpose.

Ok, I've never used a paddle but I like my hanging strops just fine and have no desire to try a paddle at this point.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I never used a paddle but thinking about it, it would be easier to start with a paddle. Right now, I'm sold to the hanging strop!

Currently just using a second hand Latigo strop (hanging).

Will probably make a (pasted) paddle strop for upkeep.

I've never liked the idea of the paddle strop. Get flashbacks of catholic school nuns every time i see a paddle strop. Hanging strops on the other hand remind me of this cool old barber i went to as a child.

Last edited:
Top Bottom