What's new

How closely should (must?) belt color match shoe color?

I just picked up a pair of these:

proxy.php

Official color is "rust" but they are a tad more purple than that.

I have a fairly generic "brown" belt (along with a black one which obviously won't match.)

Should I try to hunt down a belt in burgundy or cordovan?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
You already have the "brown =\= black" thing down so you are most of the way there. A general, mid-range brown belt will cover off most bworn/tan/burgundy shoes fairly well. You are better served by ensuring that the belt and shoes are of the same "style" ... so a casual belt won't go with dress shoes, and vice versa, &c.

You already have the "brown =\= black" thing down so you are most of the way there. A general, mid-range brown belt will cover off most bworn/tan/burgundy shoes fairly well. You are better served by ensuring that the belt and shoes are of the same "style" ... so a casual belt won't go with dress shoes, and vice versa, &c.

Thanks.

How formal do you think the belt should be?

I refuse to buy brown shoes or belts anymore.

Was driving myself crazy trying to match the many shades of brown.

It is now black shoes and belts.

Plus I save money on shoe polish.:wink2:

I've got three brown belts. A dark brown a mid brown and a tan. I use these with the different shades of brown shoes I have. I just pick the belt that is the closest to the shoes. As long at it isn't glaringly different, then I think it's OK.

The fashion police will scream holy murder at this
but I really do not think that your belt must match your shoes wear black with brown, beige with black whatever floats your boat.

Thanks all.

By the way, these are my first pair of Ecco shoes - very comfortable, high quality. :thumbup:

Ecco shoes are great. Not cheap, but a good balance of comfort, quality, and appearance. I had a pair of black slip ons that were the only pair I needed when traveling - nice enough to dress up with but sturdy and comfortable enough for miles of wandering some strange city. The only reason I don't wear them anymore is that I completely neglected the tops for years.

Count me among those who are tired of changing belts so they match the shoes. For this reason I have a quite elegant black and brown leather belt made by Crookhorn, where the brown is weaved inside the center portion of the belt. I use this for casual or business casual wear with any shoes I please. It's not a belt meant for formal or business wear, but it's perfect for use with almost any color shoe the rest of the time.

Oddly enough, it turned out my 'dress' black belt is reversible. I hadn't noticed when I bought it (I rarely pay attention to these things) but the buckle pulls out and flips.

I'm thinking of a pair of slip-ons, they're on sale as well and I'd like a pair of dressy black shoes.

Thanks all.

By the way, these are my first pair of Ecco shoes - very comfortable, high quality. :thumbup:

:thumbup1: on Ecco shoes.

I've had a pair which I wear almost daily to work. I've had them for 2 1/2 years now and they still look brand new and feel very comfortable. Great choice.

Top Bottom