What's new

Questions at one month in

I've been shaving with my Merkur 23c and D.R. Harris soap for about a month now with various blades from the sample pack. The results are fairly consistent, but occasionally the soap will dry out on my face. So I've been experimenting with some cheap shaving cream, and adding a tiny dab to my shaving bowl as I make my lather. It seems to help, but I was wondering what other things I could try to keep the soap from drying out on my face.

Are you applying the lather to a wet face?

A good starting point.......... but is your lather good and slick in the first place? If you are satisfied that your lather is OK, it might be a case of when you shave slowly (as was the case when I started with a straight) the lather can dry on your face. I would make sure that your face is wet when you lather it and try just lathering one side of your face at a time.

I was going to add that bit about more water here, but was beaten to it. It is important to wash the face first, and leave it wet for the lather. I used to think (when I was a wee lad) that it would be great when I could shave so I didn't have to wash my face in the morning! I wondered at the time why my Father laughed so hard when I told him that. . . . . I found out when I started shaving.

Remember, it is the first washing that softens the beard, then the lather holds water in to lubricate the blade when it cuts the beard.

:thumbup:

I used to have a similar problem and it was solved with pre-shave oil. I recently picked up proraso pre-post - that may be your cup of tea :)

Top Bottom