What's new

Any way to tell grit size ?

Hokay,

Here's an out there question.

In a little second hand shop they have a two layer sharpening stone. One side is obviously higher grit than the other but is there a way I can tell what the grit its ??????

They only want $10AU for it, so probably worth picking up, but would be useful to know if it's too high a grit and useless to me.

I'm guessing I probably need someone more knowledgeable ( which really doesn't narrow it down much :blushing: ) to eyeball it ?!?

If you can take a picture of it maybe someone can make it out? I wouldn't trust it even for that price because there are some terrible stones that can wreck a bevel. But then again I've found Norton's in Pawn Shops.:biggrin1:

short of having any identifying marks on the stone, there's little chance trying to work out what a stone's grit is just by looking at it

though, having said that, let emery paper be your guide, if you can feel the grit in the stone, then it's 1000grit or lower, if it's smooth to the touch, it's more likely to be a mid-range finisher, if the stone feels as smooth as glass, there's a high guarentee that it'd be a finishing hone of some sort

Though, having said that, For that sort of money, there's a good chance that it'd just be a 300/600 grit hardware stone

If you have a picture and it's a stone someone has experience with then someone might recognize it and be able to help you. otherwise it's kind of like showing a picture of some food and asking do think this tastes good?

You use it and that's how you know.

If you polish your nail with a grit that you know, you should be able to tell if the hone is smoother.... higher grit or rougher...lower grit than your reference.
At At 1000 grit, you will feel a resistance on your skin. At about 6000 grit, the hone will feel smooth and at 50,000 grit the hone will feel and look like glass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom