What's new

Inexpensive Laptop Recommendations?

Fella's i've been using a Dell Inspiron for just about the last 8 years and i think it's time for a new one.

after doing some homework, the data is becoming a little overwhelming.

I don't do a whole lot online, internet, photo's for SOTD, and it also important that i have capable use of Internet Explorer (for work purposes)

any and all help and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

thank you!

I can't recommend one particular model because it depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to do with it.

What I can recommend is that you check out the forums on slickdeals.net and also techbargains.com. You'll find all kinds of laptops at all kinds of prices, but you can get a better idea of what's available currently.

If all the different specs are overwhelming I guess the easiest way to choose is by price. Once you decide what price range you're shopping in then you can work on getting the best quality, features, etc, in that price range.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I can't recommend one particular model because it depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to do with it.

What I can recommend is that you check out the forums on slickdeals.net and also techbargains.com. You'll find all kinds of laptops at all kinds of prices, but you can get a better idea of what's available currently.

If all the different specs are overwhelming I guess the easiest way to choose is by price. Once you decide what price range you're shopping in then you can work on getting the best quality, features, etc, in that price range.

Hope that helps.

Fatwallet.com is good too. Whatever you do, purchasing online will save you some cash. I'm a big proponent of Newegg.com and Tigerdirect.com, they tend to have great deals and their service is top notch.

Fatwallet.com is good too. Whatever you do, purchasing online will save you some cash. I'm a big proponent of Newegg.com and Tigerdirect.com, they tend to have great deals and their service is top notch.

I can vouch for newegg.com also, their prices might not be the cheapest but the great customer service is worth it.

Tigerdirect on the other hand is not longer what it used to be. They had decent deals back when they actually honored their rebates.

The prices themselves are reasonable, but note that one on tiger is a refurb. As far as rating them goes, it depends entirely on what you intend to use the laptop for.

Thanks Fella's!

this has been really helpful!

what do you think of This Gateway?

as well as This Acer Aspire?

Out of those 2 I'd take the Acer, it's not refurbished and the reviews seem ok. I'd recommend an Intel system over the AMD because their CPUs are overall better and they consume less usually (leading to longer battery life), but the AMD will do just fine for most tasks. Keep in mind that AMD processor in the Acer is 1.6ghz single core which is similar to what you would find in a netbook, and it's pretty slow for something in a full sized laptop. The standard is dual-core CPU so I'd look for something better because you will probably be disappointed with the speed of that laptop.

Try looking for computer expos in your area. Computer salesman set up stands there and offer some good deals on used machines.

The laptop I'm using to answer your question cost me 300. It is an IBM thinkpad and is one of the best computers I have ever owned. The keyboard size fits my fingers better than any other, which is great because of all the papers I've had in college.

The specs are 1.19 gh, 256 mg ram. This is probably around what you are going to see in the price range you are looking for. You CAN find HPs or Dells for a little more than 300, but I'd recommend the IBM over those.

Ebay is a decent place to look as well, but you can't 'see' or test what you are getting before hand. At an expo you can use the machine before you purchase it.

Good luck on your hunt!

In my opinion computers are not like razors, they are outdated pretty fast. I'm sure you can do basic tasks on an old IBM but does paying $300 for old, used technology make sense? Even if an older computer costs you $200, you're buying something that is clunky, heavy, inefficient if not slow, for close to the same amount as something new.

It's hard to believe someone is suggesting a computer with 256mb of ram as something to buy today. The Acer link proves that for $50 more you can get a modern system.
Not to mention that there are no real deals at those computer fairs, mostly people trying to sell outdated hardware at higher prices to people who aren't too familiar with what they are buying. If you want to see a computer in person you can go down to any major retailer (best buy, officemax, etc, btw which might also have some sales from time to time) and if you find a laptop you like there then you can take down the model number and look for it online. Chances are you can find it cheaper.

If you're not in a rush to buy keep checking those sites and you can find some great systems in the $350-$450 range.

Last edited:
Asus are quite good, and according to the 2009 laptop reliability studies, they are the most reliable brand tech wise,

they also manufacture half the laptops you see out there under other brands (apple macbooks are asus made),

I have had good luck with Dell Laptops, but that is with the Latitude series.

From what I have seen the Insiprion laptops are not built as well.

thats becuase most of dell manufacturing is done by foxconn, they arent exactly known for quality, we usualy joke around about their motto being "why make it good when you can make it cheap"

also explains why ipods are such high quality... (sarcastic comment)

I am a big fan of ThinkPads (nee IBM, now Lenovo) laptops.

Lenovo bought the rights to certain ThinkPad models from IBM but it is a completely different company. Not all Lenovo lines are IBM quality.

I have an ASUS and I've been pretty happy with it. They also offer a one year accidental damage warranty and 2 year parts and labor, which sounds pretty good to me.

Lenovo bought the rights to certain ThinkPad models from IBM but it is a completely different company. Not all Lenovo lines are IBM quality.

I have an ASUS and I've been pretty happy with it. They also offer a one year accidental damage warranty and 2 year parts and labor, which sounds pretty good to me.

Ja...I've had nothing but good luck with the T series before and after Lenovo.

Lenovo has had quite a turn around,
they use to be a OEM called QDI which was known for horrible quality components, then the renamed themselfs QDI Legend, which then dropped the QDI, and as a facewash before buying IBM´s laptop and desktop computer business they changed the name again to lenovo,

todays lenovo laptops are good value, but according to some, they cant hold a candle to the quality of the old IBM manufactured models,

then again, alot of companies that use to manufacture in canada and ireland have since moved their manufacturing plants to china, malasia, vietnam, and that has led to a general decrease in quality, as someone who works in telco, i can tell you that a chinese made cisco switch or router bought today is rubbish quality wise compared to the canadian made ciscos from a few years ago,

todays lenovo laptops are good value, but according to some, they cant hold a candle to the quality of the old IBM manufactured models,

True - I'm on a T61 now, have had the fan replaced, the keyboard is flaking out, and the shell is cracked. It issues the BSOD occasionally, and I do believe the fan is failing again, because at times it gets overly hot (leading to additional BSODs).

I had a pre-Lenovo Thinkpad T40 that was built like a tank compared to this.

As for current models. Apple and Asus lead PC mags reliability ratings - but, I'm sure not all models perform the same.

Link

heres a small detail, apple and asus lead becuase apple are made by asus (atleast the laptops), what worries me that apple has a lower reliability index then asus, which is quite weird for 2 laptop brands basicly made by the same people under the same roof,

Out of those 2 I'd take the Acer, it's not refurbished and the reviews seem ok. I'd recommend an Intel system over the AMD because their CPUs are overall better and they consume less usually (leading to longer battery life), but the AMD will do just fine for most tasks. Keep in mind that AMD processor in the Acer is 1.6ghz single core which is similar to what you would find in a netbook, and it's pretty slow for something in a full sized laptop. The standard is dual-core CPU so I'd look for something better because you will probably be disappointed with the speed of that laptop.

In my opinion computers are not like razors, they are outdated pretty fast. I'm sure you can do basic tasks on an old IBM but does paying $300 for old, used technology make sense? Even if an older computer costs you $200, you're buying something that is clunky, heavy, inefficient if not slow, for close to the same amount as something new.

It's hard to believe someone is suggesting a computer with 256mb of ram as something to buy today. The Acer link proves that for $50 more you can get a modern system.
Not to mention that there are no real deals at those computer fairs, mostly people trying to sell outdated hardware at higher prices to people who aren't too familiar with what they are buying. If you want to see a computer in person you can go down to any major retailer (best buy, officemax, etc, btw which might also have some sales from time to time) and if you find a laptop you like there then you can take down the model number and look for it online. Chances are you can find it cheaper.

If you're not in a rush to buy keep checking those sites and you can find some great systems in the $350-$450 range.

Outstanding! thank you for the info and links, i didn't realize that a refurbished computer would be a mistake :blushing:

I am a big fan of ThinkPads (nee IBM, now Lenovo) laptops.

From what i can tell, these look like great options, Thank you!

Outstanding! thank you for the info and links, i didn't realize that a refurbished computer would be a mistake :blushing:

From what i can tell, these look like great options, Thank you!

Refurbs are not necessarily a bad thing but you have to factor in the price difference. Why buy a refurb when you can get something new, with better specs, for a bit more? Of course if you're on a budget or the price difference is big enough to make the refurb a great deal then you might be better off. It depends on the situation IMO.

Good luck searching. If you find something and have some more questions just post them up.

Also, forgot to add that most online retailers are offering cash back through bing.com so you might be able to get some money back depending on where you buy from. There's a big thread on slickdeals about bing cashback.

Top Bottom