What's new

Graduation Gift

Hey Guys,

My wife graduates with her undergraduate degree in two weeks. I'm trying to figure out something to get her, and I don't have any ideas. I'm pretty terrible at the gift-giving game, unless its shaving supplies! :001_tongu

Anywho, she is an artist, and somewhat finicky. I'd like to get her something nice, so my budget would be fairly decent, around a couple hundred dollars, if necessary.

She already has a computer, and she doesn't really care about tech items. Electronics are one of my default categories for considerations, and that is almost automatically out the window.

I am pretty handy, and I enjoy building things, so a hand crafted gift is definitely an option.

I know that nobody here knows her personality, but I am drawing a blank so any suggestions are better than what I have right now!

If she's an artist you should check out dick blick I think it is (website) my wife gets her supplies from there and it's some good stuff I hear.

She's a studio artist, mainly paints and makes sculptures.

She has dabbled in photography and is really enjoying it.

Dick Blick is a good idea (and hilarious name).

I know she has a running wishlist there, but I don't know that a humongous pottery wheel will fit well in the apartment. The landlord may frown upon a kiln in the living room!

I'll check that out, thanks for the reminder!

Keep 'em coming!

Perhaps you could make her some kind of art supply tote/box/storage, that she could use everyday. She might already have one, but not a hand made one.

I've been poking around Dick Blick and two major ideas pop out.

A really nice easel, or a nice carrying bag/organizer.

It would be cool to get something like a leather carrying bag, along the lines of Saddleback Leather company's bags, but $500 for a bag is a good way to get myself killed. Anyone know of a similar company thats a bit more affordable?

If she likes photography, you could get:
a) nice DSLR
b) Photoshop

Do you know if she has a favorite artist (local/not Picasso or something ridiculous)?

You could buy a nice print or an original depending on who it is.

I've been poking around Dick Blick and two major ideas pop out.

A really nice easel, or a nice carrying bag/organizer.

It would be cool to get something like a leather carrying bag, along the lines of Saddleback Leather company's bags, but $500 for a bag is a good way to get myself killed. Anyone know of a similar company thats a bit more affordable?

For something Saddlebackesque with a lower price tag you might look at Filson. They're made in Seattle (awesome factory tour BTW) out of heavy duty materials and are made very well. In another thread the B&B representative of Saddleback Leather (whoever has the vendor tag, pretty small company so probably the owner) gave them a favorable review, as a direct competitor of Filson (their bags anyway) I think that says a lot about both companies.

Top Bottom